The Sonic movie broke another record last weekend, making $145 million and becoming the highest grossing video game movie in the United States. This just barely places it ahead of Detective Pikachu’s $144 million U.S. total.
In terms of overall box office, Sonic is still substantially behind Detective Pikachu. It passed $300 million last weekend, putting it well behind Detective Pikachu’s $433 million. Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Sonic movie’s release dates in both China and Japan have been delayed, with a new release date still undecided. Detective Pikachu made over $120 million across these two regions last year.
With the ongoing coronavirus pandemic forcing millions to self-quarantine, and with the movie hitting digital on demand services at the end of the month, this will obviously be our last box office update for awhile. All things considered, not a bad run for a movie many thought would be a disaster last year!
via Box Office Mojo
Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog just keeps rushing past the competition, scoring the top box office spot worldwide for a second week in a row. Paramount recently reported that Sonic made another $26 million this weekend, which helped the movie steal the top box office spot away from its closest competition, Fox’s Call of the Wild. This brings the total US gross to $106.6 million.
Sonic has also continued to do well overseas, where it earned another $38.3 million, bringing it’s total international gross to $96.5 million. This came as Sonic opened in an additional 16 markets, bringing it to a total of 56 markets worldwide. Overall, Sonic the Hedgehog has now made $203.1 million worldwide.
Sonic’s international numbers are likely to improve as the movie comes to new markets over the next month, including large markets like China and Japan. Sonic is scheduled to open in Japan on March 27, while the movie’s Chinese opening date is uncertain due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.
We now have our first concrete numbers for Sonic the Hedgehog’s U.S. box office performance, and they’re looking good: it hauled in $21 million it’s opening day (which includes the $3 million from Thursday night previews). To put that in perspective, this makes it the largest opening day of all time for a video game movie, allowing it to barely squeak past Detective Pikachu’s $20.7 million.
These numbers have also increased the movie’s box office projection. The latest box office estimates from Deadline now project the movie making $64.3 million through President’s Day, including $53.99 million over the three-day weekend. The latter number puts Sonic the Hedgehog tantalizingly close to being the largest U.S. opening for a video game movie ever, with the current record holder, Detective Pikachu, being only slightly higher then that at $54.3 million.
These estimates are also significantly up from what was projected yesterday, when the Sonic movie was projected to make $45 million and $55 million over the three-day and President’s Day weekend, respectively. Paramount itself has released somewhat lower projections, with a $60 million four-day and $50 million three-day haul expected, which would still make it the second biggest video game movie opening.
Sonic’s ticket sales are being heavily driven by families, which make up 44 percent of ticket sales, with general audiences being the remaining 56 percent.
Sonic’s first international numbers should be released either later today or tomorrow. When those numbers come, we’ll be updating this article, so stay tuned!
It looks like Paramount and SEGA may have a hit on their hands, if Sonic the Hedgehog’s Thursday night preview haul and latest United States box office projections are any indication. Sonic the Hedgehog made $3 million Thursday night, with the latest projections now putting the movie’s US President’s Day weekend haul (which includes Monday) at $55 million.
Sonic the Hedgehog’s three day projections, which only count Friday through Sunday, have the movie making $47.5 million. If this happens, it would be the third highest opening weekend for any video game movie, only bested by 2001’s Lara Croft: Tomb Raider ($47.7 million) and last year’s Detective Pikachu ($54.7 Million).
With these kinds of numbers, Sonic the Hedgehog is now set to make back well over half of it’s estimated $81-$95 million budget just from its U.S. opening. It’s still possible for the movie to fall short of these expectations, or exceed them. It could also potentially bomb internationally. Barring either of these events, Sonic the Hedgehog is going to make Paramount some money.