Jump to content
Awoo.
  • Check Out A Preview Of Sonic X Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings!

It's coming this fall!

Anime Expo is currently going on, where Sonic fans, and especially Shadow fans, have been treated to a panel featuring an upcoming prologue animation for Sonic X Shadow Generations. More information about the animation, which is called Sonic X Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings, was shared at the panel, including some preview footage and the news that it will be 3 episodes!

So, as previously mentioned, this won't actually be one single animation. Sonic X Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings will actually be 3 episodes in total. Ian Flynn is the writer for it, and the studio behind the animation's production is Studio Giggex. We already knew about the latter, and the former isn't all that surprising. However, the former wasn't officially confirmed by SEGA yet, so if you were wondering if Ian Flynn was involved in this too, now you know!

As for the preview footage, it's around a minute long. We got to see Emerl in it, as well as Maria. The animation project isn't completed yet, so we'll have to wait a little while longer to see the whole thing. Fortunately, SEGA did confirm at the panel that all 3 episodes of Sonic X Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings will be releasing this fall. For now, check out the preview footage, as well as some screenshots of it!

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Shiny Gems

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!
    • Fist Bump 1
    • Way Past Cool 1

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Sonictrainer

Posted (edited)

For people who haven't played Sonic Battle, Emerl was studied by Professor Gerald after he found him in some ruins.

However, although Emerl's abilities were dangerous, Gerald gave Emerl away in exchange for more time in his experiments (to save Maria's life and create a weapon to defeat the Black Arms in the future)

Unfortunately, Emerl was able to form Links with new masters, he went out of control from absorbing too much Copy Data of weapons, and almost destroyed the entire Space Colony Ark.

However, we didn't know that Shadow may have been the one to stop Emerl.

Thanks to Shadow losing his memories after defeating the Final Hazard, he probably didn't remember this or Emerl.

Edited by Sonictrainer

Maple Syrup

Posted

Beautiful. Just pure beauty. Emerl is back, and I believe Kirk and Stephanie were doing very well! I can't wait to see it all!

• Nice Smile 1

Anonymous Gamer

Posted

43 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

A preview video showing the Dark Beginnings animation from Sonic X Shadow Generations has been shown earlier. This was shown at the Fearless: Year of Shadow panel at the Anime Expo. Not going to lie, I think this looks pretty good!

So, any thoughts?

By the way, three episodes will happen this fall, and a certain Battle robot (not Omega here) has appeared here.

EDIT: Video here.

Stephanie Sheh did Maria justice. She sounds so good in the role. Also, Thornton's Shadow definitely sounds a lot better here than in Free Riders and OG Generations (I will also give credit to Forces and TSR, as those were also a step up for the portrayal in that regard. Not a BIG step up, mind you, but a step up none the less).

Also, Emerl is involved in this now? Can't wait to see how that plays out!

Link to comment

You know, is it just me, or does Maria Sound like Cosmo from Sonic X? Not that it is a bad thing, but I could not help but notice.

• Chuckle 1
    Link to comment

they.... they brought him back... THEY BROUGHT BACK EMERL?!?!?!??!??!?! I'm actually close to tears, I thought they would never reference sonic battle or the Gizoids ever AGAIN.

Yes I know Gemerl is in the Comics, but they never went fully into who he was before, and I thought ever since the whole Dark Brotherhood fiasco that they would never touch the gizoids origins.

This is Huge!! Please let this be a sign that Sonic Battle can get a rerelease at some point.

Heck, bundle it up with the Sonic Advance games, I'm sure that will make a lot of people happy.

I'm genuinely shocked at how exited I am

• Fist Bump 3

Anonymous Gamer

Posted

5 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

Actually, Stephanie Sheh had no involvement in Sonic X whatsoever (she did have involvement in that one Darkstalkers crossover with Compile Heart's Cross Edge, though, and she voiced Lilith Aensland).

To me, Maria sounded a lot more like Usagi Tsukino.

Just now, Anonymous Gamer said:

To me, Maria sounded a lot more like Usagi Tsukino.

I know, but that is not what I meant. I said her character here, Maria, SOUNDS like Cosmo. I did not say both Maria and Coamo had the same voice actress.

Or maybe it it some other Sonic character Stephanie as Maria sounds like?

ZinogreVolt

Posted

Love how the reactions to this are split between "hey this is great" or "can you assholes just lock in and make a new 2D animated series already".

• Chuckle 6
    Link to comment

Really cool teaser. I wonder if it'll be a decent length if they're willing to show a small portion of it. Also hey, Gemerl is actually important for the first time since...his debut. Cool. I wonder if he'll have a part in the story too, maybe a rival battle for Shadow like Shadow was to Sonic in gens.

Also...man, imagine the reaction to this had they not deconfirmed the second multiple playable character rumor last week. Everyone would immediately have thought "yeah it's going to be Gemerl". I get why they deconfirmed it but it would've been really funny to see everyone stop speculating.

Link to comment

Wow... just- wow. I'm so psyched for this! The voice acting is already good! I really love the animation and how crazy the story is gonna be!

• Nice Smile 1

36 minutes ago, Urban Burrow said:

I am curious as to whether they'll ever do anything with Emerl's origins in the games, whether it's to hint at but not explicitly state anything connected to Chronicles, (re)confirm Chronicles' canonicity to the main series, or just invent something completely different. Suffice to say I'll be watching developments closely, as I have plans involving the Fourth Great Civilization in my own fan fiction (which, yes, I'm still working on, it's been taking me a while to get all the plot threads woven together and/or unsnarled in a way that meets my overly perfectionistic/OCD-driven standards).

16 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I mean, why not both?

• Promotion 1

20 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

Seems everyone on Twitter is speculating that Emerl is the second character in the slot currently lol

IHaveACaseOfSonicMania

Posted

I don't know what to say except for... I'm excited.

Link to comment

Wonder if this could also tell us who created the Gizoids, since Chronicles is non canon anymore in the game timeline. (It's not the Brotherhood anymore) :knuxing:

Link to comment

I don't think they're going to spend any time on Emerl/Gizoid lore, this is just a notable moment in Shadow's history. Unless they can tie it to Shadow (and I can't imagine how), going into much detail would be a distraction.

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

Posted

I see Emerl, at least, being a boss fight in Shadow's campaign.

Still, wild that they remembered Emerl's part in Shadow's backstory and built off of it in such a manner.

Link to comment

Yeah, no, Kirk Thorton still is not selling me his role as Shadow, he really just sounds like he's reading his lines. His initial phrases clearly are about frustration and his usual angst, but there's almost no emotion in the reading. Especially in contrast with Maria's new VA who instead nails exactly how the character should sound and the emotion to put into the performance.

• My Emmerdoods 1

7 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Idk he sounds fine to me. Not really hearing anything off here. Then again it was only a few lines he said here so I’m gonna wait until I hear more before going one way or another on that

• Nice Smile 1

8 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

*Gives them a negative look* Everyone, get him!

Naw, just kidding. I respect your opinion. *Others run past me towards Teoskaven* I said I was kidding! *Everyone stops*

• Chuckle 2

Sega DogTagz

Posted

I'm actually surprised I never connected the dots here. Battle told us Emerl was on the arc w/ Gerald, and that he went on a rampage while he was there, but I don't think I (or anyone I've ever seen) ever even thought to consider that Shadow was the one to bring him down. All we knew is that he did a catastrophic amount of damage before he was brought to heel.

I love the lore connections.

and best of all, it brings Emerl and/or Gmerl back into the fold without touching any of the messy stuff established in Chronicles. Well played.

• Nice Smile 1
    Link to comment

So happy to see them delving into Shadow's backstory and the drama of it all. My fear of him being portrayed they way he is in the comics lessens the more I see/hear.

Also Maria's VA is perfect for the role; she killed it.

Link to comment

They do seem to be going for a more serious tone. Which makes me hope that they don't have Mike Pollock play Gerald. He played him in Shadow The Hedgehog and probably the anime too, I don't remember.

The thing is, it just sounds like Eggman pretending to be old. It'll immediately take me out of the experience.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.