Awoo.

Takashi Iizuka Wants To Make A Sonic RPG!

SSF1991

Summer Game Fest 2024 has been done for multiple weeks now, but that doesn't mean we're done seeing interviews with Takashi Iizuka just yet. Good Vibes Gaming has released their Summer Game Fest interview with the head of Sonic Team, where Iizuka dropped an interesting tidbit. Iizuka says that he wants to create a new Sonic the Hedgehog role-playing game!

So, why is Iizuka interested in a Sonic RPG? Iizuka says that he loves RPG games, and that "the RPG game format is a lot of fun". He's also surprised that 30 years have passed and Sonic Team hasn't made a Sonic RPG game, despite the franchise going into other genres like racing, puzzle games like Sonic Labyrinth, and scrolling shooters like Tails Skypatrol.

It is worth noting, however, that there is a Sonic RPG game out there. Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood released on the Nintendo DS in 2008, so the franchise has explored the RPG genre before. The catch is that this game was developed by Bioware and not SEGA, meaning that Takashi Iizuka and the rest of Sonic Team have not actually developed a Sonic RPG of their own.

As for Iizuka's remarks about the matter, keep in mind that there is not actually a Sonic RPG in the works. Iizuka himself says that "it's just a dream right now", and that "there are no concrete plans at the moment". But Iizuka does says that he hopes to do one before he retires from SEGA. Time will tell whether it happens, but for now, check out Good Vibes Gaming's video of the entire Iizuka interview:

Original Post Content:

View full story

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just a reminder that Iizuka said these exact words about a Knuckles' Chaotix sequel and NiGHTS 3. In 2010, mind you.

Edited by Anonymous Gamer
  • Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

I'll pass if it's turn-based. That shit's a hard sell for me.

Eh, real-time RPGs aren't a whole lot better.

Remember how BS Absolute Virtue was in FF11? 😏

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

Eh, real-time RPGs aren't a whole lot better.

Remember how BS Absolute Virtue was in FF11? 😏

Never really played FF11, so I have no idea what you mean.

Although I would honestly prefer real-time being I don’t like waiting my turn to attack the enemy most of the time.

I don't mind turn-based inherently, especialky if it's executed well in games li,e Etrian Odyssey, SaGa, and the like. However, I don't really think it's suited for Sonic specifically. I think an ARPG like Tales or Ys (the former especially) would be a better fit for the high-speed thrill the franchise provides.

11 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I don't mind turn-based inherently, especialky if it's executed well in games li,e Etrian Odyssey, SaGa, and the like. However, I don't really think it's suited for Sonic specifically. I think an ARPG like Tales or Ys (the former especially) would be a better fit for the high-speed thrill the franchise provides.

I think an Ys-like would fit better than Tales Of, personally. Those games tend to incorporate some platforming/environmental movement that would fit Sonic's ethos better, I feel.  Ys is generally more focused on movement and timing in combat too, especially in hectic battles which again I think fits Sonic pretty well. 

I think turn-based could work pretty well, but I think it'd be hard to fully nail down. I think some mixture of the recent LAD games and the older Paper Mario format would fit it pretty well. Either way, something that emphasizes a big cast would be ideal I feel.

• Nice Smile 2

NO

If Sonic Team ever does roll in that direction, I'd legit vomit with rage.

Not because of that choice mind you, but because you have two legit INDUSTRY LEADING divisions within Sega that do nothing but churn out 5-STAR RPGs and somehow, someway, someone would have had to think it a good idea to pass on the decision to hand-off such a title to Atlus or Ryu Ga.

(and thats before you even consider that brass at Ryu Ga is on the record recently as wanting to do something w/ Sonic)

F Sonic Teams ambition. Give me Persona 5: Sonic Edition

• Unamused 4

Eh, personally not a fan of the idea simply due to me mostly not jiving with the genre.

While I do like the pure story and narrative potential of them, their often slow paced design just isn't for me nor is what I come to this series for.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, CrownSlayers Shadow said:

Never really played FF11, so I have no idea what you mean.

Although I would honestly prefer real-time being I don’t like waiting my turn to attack the enemy most of the time.

Basically, Absolute Virtue was this superboss from Final Fantasy 11 that took a long time to beat, and then the developers at one point shared a strategy to beat them. So then players used that strategy... and then said devs of FF11 patched the game to make the strategy no longer work. Yeah, the players weren't too happy about that.

But yeah, I can see why you'd prefer real-time RPGs over turn-based ones. It'd definitely fit well with the Sonic series' fast-paced yet strategic gameplay nowadays, though in my personal opinion, either a real-time RPG or a turn-based one would work (despite the flaws Chronicles had, it's battle system was actually pretty cool, and I'd love to see the team-up mechanic from that game come back for a future Sonic RPG if one ever gets made).

Edited by Anonymous Gamer

*sees the title* Great, multi paragraph post time! Lets throw some random stuff at the wall.

I do like RPGs, especially turn based ones (of course the SMT3 fan likes turn based RPGs...), although I'd prefer if the actual RPG gameplay was handled by one of Sega's dedicated RPG studios. Sonic Team can't even maintain consistent quality in a genre that they've been working on for well over two decades, and if they pivot to one they're unfamiliar with it probably won't go down well.

With that said, Sonic Team can still handle the story, presentation and especially the soundtrack - in particular I'd want to hear them bring back the rock music. And yes, you CAN rock out in an RPG. That's like the best thing about Ys.

For overworld controls, maybe Sonic Adventure with considerably pared back momentum. There should be some platforming in addition to the RPG exploration.

The battle system should probably be fast paced and have some momentum to it. I like how Persona encourages chaining super effective attacks together and passing turns to party members until you've downed every enemy to use a super attack. I should note though that while a Sonic RPG will probably benefit from having "action commands" like the Mario RPGs, I can either take it or leave it in that regard. I would however appreciate it if random critical hits are not a mechanic of the game since I think they put too much emphasis on luck rather than strategy.

If they absolutely must make it an action RPG, they should probably rip off Ys. I'm currently playing Ys SEVEN on my Steam Deck and it's great. All the Ys games are winners (I started with the double pack of 1 and 2 on Steam and I loved it) and I have tried on multiple occasions to convert people to Ys. Unfortunately I don't seem to have succeeded at converting anyone yet. Well, it's their loss.

As for Sonic Chronicles, I've never played it. Outside of the Ken Penders stuff, all I know is that the music's bad and that it was a casualty of EA's impending purchase of BioWare. Maybe I'll check it out at some point.

I know Sega is full of fantastic RPG studios, but I really wouldn't mind seeing Sonic Team themselves give this a shot. I'm often quite curious how they would tackle different genres that they haven't really dipped their toes in before, so yeah, I'd really love to see their take on the genre, especially how they'd see a Sonic RPG of all things. They desperately try to shift Sonic's gameplay on a regular basis, anyway, might as well give them a game where that change is welcome instead of a crux lol

Like, all joking aside, the Yakuza going from really solid brawlers to two of my favorite RPGs isn't something I expected, either, so who knows what Sonic Team has in store? I wouldn't mind finding out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love another Sonic RPG, this might be an unpopular opinion but I think an RPG would be the perfect kind of game to bring back the customizable character from forces.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

33 minutes ago, Ratchet25tx said:

Move it, Mario and Luigi! We got Sonic and Tails coming through! jk

This would be nice to have tho

I'm not the only one on the forums to say this, but a Mario + Sonic crossover RPG has definite potential. The best part is? It doesn't NEED a coherent story because the sheer insanity of these two worlds in particular combining IS the hook. Granted, if it DID somehow have a semi-coherent story anyway, I for one would not be complaining.

That being said, we've had like three Mario RPGs in like a year, so on the off chance this ever does happen, I'm perfectly all right with waiting until they're good and ready to give it to us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

7 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

I'm not the only one on the forums to say this, but a Mario + Sonic crossover RPG has definite potential. The best part is? It doesn't NEED a coherent story because the sheer insanity of these two worlds in particular combining IS the hook. Granted, if it DID somehow have a semi-coherent story anyway, I for one would not be complaining.

That being said, we've had like three Mario RPGs in like a year, so on the off chance this ever does happen, I'm perfectly all right with waiting until they're good and ready to give it to us.

Yea! I hope one happens soon! They could do it in the art style of Brothership, too!(I love that kind of art-style)

24 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

The best part is? It doesn't NEED a coherent story because the sheer insanity of these two worlds in particular combining IS the hook.

Yeah, that's what Paper Jam tried.

fail, but I still liked it!

It definitely needs to be an action rpg. Sonic is all about moving, and fast. I can't get into an rpg with characters just standing around, you press a couple of buttons and just wait. There are a few exceptions like smrpg but very few.

7 hours ago, sorathehedgehog said:

i read the name of the article and thought he wanted to make a sonic rocket propelled grenade lol

Top 10 banned weapons too brutal for war.

Edited by A super no.2rookiemusician
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

Just a reminder that Iizuka said these exact words about a Knuckles' Chaotix sequel and NiGHTS 3. In 2010, mind you.

If I read correctly, well, somewhere, it was said that Sega wanted Sonic Team to focus on games starring Sonic instead of other characters like of his friends, and they wanted Sonic Team to focus on Sonic games rather than non-Sonic games. I don't know where i got it from, so don't ask, and I don't know if that has changed or not, but that MAY have prevented a Knuckles' Chaotix sequel or a NiGHTS 3.

Anyway, this Sonic RPG news sounds exciting! I like this idea! I do hope they actually do this one day, because I want to see what Iizuka and Sonic Team can cook up in terms of an RPG for Sonic.

I loved Chronicles so I'm down for a new RPG! Story is important and you can count on any Sonic game to have a great story so I feel there's lots of potential!

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Shiny Gems said:

If I read correctly, well, somewhere, it was said that Sega wanted Sonic Team to focus on games starring Sonic instead of other characters like of his friends, and they wanted Sonic Team to focus on Sonic games rather than non-Sonic games. I don't know where i got it from, so don't ask, and I don't know if that has changed or not, but that MAY have prevented a Knuckles' Chaotix sequel or a NiGHTS 3.

Anyway, this Sonic RPG news sounds exciting! I like this idea! I do hope they actually do this one day, because I want to see what Iizuka and Sonic Team can cook up in terms of an RPG for Sonic.

Damn, if that is the case, SEGA could really use the shake-up Capcom had back in the early 2020s and have people who care about SEGA games working as the heads.

• Thumbs Up 1