Awoo.

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog #70: Official Discussion (Unmarked spoilers)

Zaysho

Another day, another Sonic comic release

Main Cover:

GMNLWU-aYAA-8K3-.thumb.jpg.2893ff9f8042e282810efc9d056a71f3.jpg

Cover A by Aaron Hammerstrom

Variants:

IDWStH70CoverB.thumb.jpg.b733d808f3032d90e70e25e29cae8bc8.jpg

Cover B by Abigail Starling

IDW70cvrRI1.thumb.jpg.6f72590ea107a884fa71139bec139135.jpg

Retail Incentive cover by Nathalie Fourdraine

Original Solicitation:

Spoiler

Welcome back, race fans! Extreme gear engines are revving as we prep for the second leg of the Clean Sweepstakes! But there's drama on the track! As Tails and Amy go to investigate a mystery of their own, only Sonic is left to answer the question, who is the Phantom Rider?!

Story by Evan Stanley

Art by Aaron Hammerstrom with inks by Matt Froese and colors by Reggie Graham.

As always, unmarked spoilers are allowed.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The topic was pinned

I'm pretty excited to see where this arc goes from here!

We've got Sonic taking on a villain-like role this time. Really cool to see a situation where he's working against his allies like this, and was also fun to see him play up the role by having even more of an attitude...but still showing that it's all an act by sneakily saving that other racer's life.

And then in contrast, we've got Surge being seen as a hero by the public. I was not expecting her to react the way she did to that! Her happiness was definitely a highlight of this issue for me; makes me wonder if she'll start liking the idea of that happening all the time, hmmmm? :)c
OR--and this is what I'm suspecting--she'll do the exact opposite of Sonic and play up the hero persona while sneakily doing villainous stuff. Very interested to see what she decides to do next.

As for the rest, I'm just going to list off all the misc stuff I liked that doesn't need a dedicated paragraph:
- Those dang Planet Wisp buzzsaws -shakes fist-
- Prison Island callback
- Sonic's henshin sequence
- Sonic snatching Omochao out of the air lolll
- Amy and Tails banter (weird that we don't get this pair interacting a lot)
- Amy's reaction to the hand

So ye, I liked it. Can't wait for the next one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic really just became a Kamen Rider, and he didn't even make it subtle.

First the Spider-Man jabs in Archie, and now this... seriously, Sonic needs to take more jabs at superheroes.

I'm happy to say that I genuinely liked this one. I still have... concerns, but overall it was fan issue with interesting potential for the future.

"Phantom Rider" makes for fun action and interesting scenario. It didn't occur to me that Sonic joining the race again would be illegal. For all the "Sonic is anarchist, doesn't matter who is wrong and who is right" it's been a while since Sonic played the bad guy. It certainly better position for Lanolin, now she can be antagonistic towards Sonic without being a jerk... even if everything that happened is totally her fault. It was her attack that broke the tube. Ups.

I am a little worried that Evan once again over crowded the cast. Between Diamond Cutters, Surge and Jet I think someone will be redundant and my money is on birds. But we'll see.

Speaking of Surge, she's a hero now and Sonic is a villain. Fascinating. The fact she likes it might be part of her programming, she was meant to "replace" Sonic after all. This could lead to Sonic getting unmasked and and where his reputation is tarnished and he must prove himself... but I hope not. I didn't liked it in STC Online, would work even less here. What I do hope is this will ALMOST happen to Surge delight, but then Clutch's plan goes into motion and she will prioritizes hurting Sonic over saving people, tragically ruining her chances at redemption.

Tails and Amy do investigation, cute callback to "Murder of Sonic", nice visual gag with Tail getting that gum in his hair. Which leads me to my main concern: I hope that Clutch's plan is about to reach final phase. I hope he's thinking:
"Once they realize what's going on it will be far too late to stop me."
not
"Haha, dummies. I can keep this charade for years and no one will figure me out."
Not only Jewel keeps looking for heroes, but also he left Belle tied up just hoping no one will notice she's gone or find her by accident? Also she's a robot, why on Mobius not turn her off? I don't expect clutch to be Manipulate Genius, plaything 5D chess, being five steps ahead, but he must be aware this is fragile house of cards. And I swear, if Mimic tied up Belle while being "Duo", he's dead to me. If he's smart for a change, he's walking around as Belle so no one notices she's gone.

But overall, this was solid fun issue, with action, character moments and plot thickening. Looking forward where this is going and let's #75 be something juicy.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I hope that Clutch's plan is about to reach final phase. I hope he's thinking:
"Once they realize what's going on it will be far too late to stop me."
not
"Haha, dummies. I can keep this charade for years and no one will figure me out."

To be fair, this is Clutch we’re talking about. He’s kinda distracted by the whole Phantom Rider shtick Sonic’s doing to even focus what’s going on back at his base.

10 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

And I swear, if Mimic tied up Belle while being "Duo", he's dead to me. If he's smart for a change, he's walking around as Belle so no one notices she's gone.

And likewise, this is MIMIC we’re discussing — YOU KNOW he’ll screw up at the scene of the crime.

4 hours ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

And likewise, this is MIMIC we’re discussing — YOU KNOW he’ll screw up at the scene of the crime.

I think few people would complain if we has written more competently.

And side notes, it's not like him to leave witness alive. Don't tell me he stabbed a robot, she lived and he ran out of ideas what to do.

7 hours ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

To be fair, this is Clutch we’re talking about. He’s kinda distracted by the whole Phantom Rider shtick Sonic’s doing to even focus what’s going on back at his base.

I am hoping that Clutch/Mimic have some contingency plans regarding Sonic/Amy/Tails. Knocking them out of the race was a decent play, but they have to know that Sonic and co. aren't the types to just walk away from fishy situations and have a tendency to ruin evil schemes.

Could see Mimic being overconfident, but that would still be dumb of him. Best case scenario if he's done this as Duo is for Belle to walk in on him while he was already doing something suspicious and he had no choice.

• Nice Smile 1

Posted (edited)

First off we have some promo and concept art

GRkLuWzWwAA41GP?format=jpg&name=large

Thomas: The Phantom Rider Sez:

GRgYvwMaYAA5xZ1?format=png&name=900x900

Nathalie Fourdraine: Phantom Rider sketch I made a few months back! Make sure you catch Sonic #70 tomorrow!

GRlu1dHWEAAk4wH?format=jpg&name=medium

Aaron Hammerstrom: Sonic issue 70 from @IDWPublishing out now!!

Did you see YOUR favorite Extreme Gear in the crowd?

GRfN7Q8a0AADrNy?format=jpg&name=large

The spiky rings that the Babylon Rogues flies through are a hazard from Sonic & the Secret Rings.

GRmw3ysbMAE91Vj?format=jpg&name=largeGRmw4MObMAYJXcD?format=png&name=900x900

This is actually one of Amy's attack animations from Sonic Riders

GRrhu_BbMAE-kGH?format=jpg&name=large

It's kind of hard to see, but there is an ad where Amy & Shadow are promoting Chaos Soda

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Chuckle 3

I'm so happy that Tails remembered to always check in the trash can! Such a small but nice detail!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Maple Syrup said:

I'm so happy that Tails remembered to always check in the trash can! Such a small but nice detail!

I understood that reference.

This issue was so much better. Sonic as the Phantom Rider aka Green Goblin.

Surge and Kit are now "heroes", getting the attention after stopping the Phantom Rider and Jet doesn't like it one bit!

Jewel knows something is up. 

Tails and Amy found Belle tied up and it makes me curious on how Clutch and CleanSweep managed to kidnap her.

Ok, finally, I quite liked this one. Also loved the reference to Prison Island. And Surge's little blush when she's being celebrated was so cute.

Edited by Phoenix

I got Cover B it's a really nice Cover.

This was a good fun issue, I'm not much of a fan of the Phantom Rider design but I do like Sonic playing into the villain role even if it's for a short period, he's being mischievous and his moments with Jet were funny. 

I enjoyed Amy and Tails interactions and I'm wondering what's happened with Belle, have I forgotten something that happened previously?

On 7/6/2024 at 5:11 AM, Anonymous Gamer said:

I understood that reference.

What's the reference? I'm afraid I don't understand it or I forgot.

2 hours ago, PokeAnimeMatt said:

What's the reference? I'm afraid I don't understand it or I forgot.

It's a reference to Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, if I remember correctly. During a murder mystery party where the Sonic cast plays a game of Murder Mystery where Sonic's the victim, you can investigate a lot of stuff, trash cans included.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

It's a reference to Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, if I remember correctly. During a murder mystery party where the Sonic cast plays a game of Murder Mystery where Sonic's the victim, you can investigate a lot of stuff, trash cans included.

I've played through the game, I just don't recall being able to check trash cans 😅

I actually did a livestream of the game so I'll have to watch the VOD and look out for it but that's a nice touch and nod, ittalways great that they make these refito the games and other mediums.

I am so happy we are out of the plot drought. My fingers are crossed that this is not just a flash in the pan between #69-#70. I am hoping that the fact they keep mentioning that this is a WORLD tour event we will see more references to older games or different zones. Egg man was weirdly absent from this issue though, I was hoping we would see a peek behind the curtain. 

• Promotion 2