Awoo.

Older fans: What was the Robotnic-Eggman switch like?

niaco

Been curious about this, and since we've got some older fans here I thought it'd be interesting to ask. If you were around for SA1's launch and played or knew of Sonic beforehand, did Eggman's change in name feel smooth and make sense? Did it confuse you later as the Robotnik name fell into the background? I've always understood the English in-universe explanation as something like "it was an insulting name that he ended up reclaiming", but it seemed like sort of a jarring way to bridge the gap to his name in the JP translations.
(I also wonder about things like this as far as Princess Peach is concerned... which tells me I may just think about this more than the folks who actually observed it live :p)

• Promotion 1

I remember the transition being a little clumsy at first, but I kind of got used to it after a while. I think what helped was the introduction to the name 'Eggman' as a nickname in Sonic Adventure. Once Sonic started going "Yeah, whatever you say, EGGMAN!", that made the name sound fairly natural to me. But as you say, that was originally used as an insult, so Eggman then going on to claim it later as a name he prefers to use... that took some getting used to haha.

I think by the time Sonic X rolled around, I was quite accepting of it as his 'actual' name. I think part of this was that, mostly, Eggman didn't refer to himself in the third person... and the way I rolled it in my headcanon was; he doesn't really like the name 'Eggman' but after being called it so many times by Sonic he also just can't be bothered to rant about it. So he just lets it go. It was whenever he called himself Eggman that was jarring at first.

I'll remember always being a bit confused in that CG cutscene in Sonic Adventure 2 when he broadcasts to the world and says, "Greetings, my name is Dr.... EGGMAN". I was like, "that's too soon", lol!

• Fist Bump 1

I still call him Robotnik.  So I guess I never really transitioned. 😅

Eggman sounds better as a nickname Sonic calls him to rile him up then an actual villain name.

But I guess in my mind to justify it Sonic called him Egghead & Eggman so many times he finally embraced the name as a sort of way to get back at Sonic.  That's really the only way it works for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Weird at first, but I caught on to them being the same character that it didn’t matter.

Actually got more annoying when others weren’t putting two and two together and kept raging about it like it was against everything they knew when in every instance, if you called him Eggman or Robotnik, people knew who you meant anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Very jarring at first, but a lot of that was due to my heavy preference for Robotnik. I was waist deep in the comics and TV shows on top of the games, so SA1 was really the first real medium that pushed Eggman on me in a significant way.

Even with the explanation behind the name change, it just felt wrong rolling off the toungue.

But I got over it, and Eggman is second nature to me now. It honestly didn't take as long as I would have thought to accept the new moniker. I remember being mildly annoyed by it in SA2, but by Heroes is wasn't even an issue anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I barely noticed, especially because of SA2B. It was clear they were two names for the same entity.

I personally found it pretty easy to get used to but the rationale they wrote in for the switch is pretty contrived.

I actually can buy that someone would take what was meant to be an insult and own it as something he would then use to torment others.  Coincidentally enough something related to this shift happened in real life when Richard Kuta made a huge stink about the name change and accused everyone who wasn't as mad of "drinking the SEGA Kool Aid", and afterward someone took the screenname "SEGAKoolAid" to confront him about it.  And with as shameless and narcissistic as this character is, it seems especially likely it would happen with him.  But the issue is just that it happened in the course of just one game from the next.  In Sonic Adventure, he calls himself Robotnik, wants to name his empire Robotnikland, and gets mad when others call him Eggman, while in Sonic Adventure 2, his canon surname is still Robotnik but he uses the name Eggman without any sense of irony.  The exact point of transition should have been shown onscreen, like that bit in The Matrix when Agent Smith has Keanu Reeves' character on the ropes, mocks him with his real name "Mr. Anderson", and then he replies "My name is Neo" and turns it around.

Except that might have irritated some old-timers even more, so maybe they should've just done what Super Mario 64 did, having Princess Toadstool sign her name with the Nickname "Peach" and then have her be called that from then on in the English versions of the games.  Another reason to do this instead is that even back when foreign releases of the game were using the name Robotnik to refer to him, they kept in his fixation for naming many creations after eggs, indicating that he'd already developed a sense of pride in his odd homely appearance.

Yeah, I found it easy to get used to too. Although me personally calling him Eggman was a longer process. I'd still use Robotnik, then start writing Eggman/Robotnik, eventually turning into Eggman. It probably helped that they gave Gerald the Robotnik name to reinforce the change, although looking back, I'd probably had Eggman resist the name in a couple of other games after Adventure 1, before eventually accepting it fully.

Strangely, I'd gotten used to the change from King Koopa and Princess Toadstool to Bowser and Princess Peach much easier and quicker. Maybe because the names weren't spoken out loud as often? The cartoons had ended by the time they adopted the other names so all we really had was Peach saying her name herself in Super Mario 64 at first.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Danj86 said:

Strangely, I'd gotten used to the change from King Koopa and Princess Toadstool to Bowser and Princess Peach much easier and quicker. Maybe because the names weren't spoken out loud as often? The cartoons had ended by the time they adopted the other names so all we really had was Peach saying her name herself in Super Mario 64 at first.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it was easier to go from King Koopa and Princess Toadstool to Bowser and Princess Peach either. I think with Bowser, the games had been using it around the same time that cartoons were using King Koopa, not to mention Princess Toadstool addresses him as "Bowser Koopa" in one of the Mario 3 episodes. As for Toadstool... I don't know. She refers to herself as both "Princess Toadstool" and "Peach" in the letter at the beginning of Mario 64. And I think Peach is a more fitting name for a Princess than Toadstool.

But as for the main topic... you know, I don't quite remember. I think it took me awhile to adapt but I eventually accepted it. That plus I was on a bit of a kick about referring to some of the Megaman cast by their Japanese names for awhile (using Rockman instead of Megaman but still using Dr. Light; I think I thought Rockman sounded less cheesy than Megaman, but in hindsight it makes sense for a robot with the child to call his alterego something goofy,) so accepting the Japanese name at the time might have been easier.

I know some people didn't take it so well though...

• Thumbs Up 1