Awoo.

Bubsy In: The Purrfect Collection (2025, Steam/PS5/Xbox Series/Switch, Digital + Physical) - He's back!...again!

DaBigJ

Is Bubsy a celebrated icon from the mascot wars of the early 90s or a platforming punchline? The team at Limited Run has built a new collection to find the answer. Bubsy in: The Purrfect Collection explores the franchise's troubled history and enduring popularity.

Bubsy in: The Purrfect Collection is a playable history that includes games, artifacts and interviews. All of the games have been carefully updated for modern PCs and consoles using Limited Run’s proprietary Carbon Engine. Along the way the team was able to smooth out some of the games’ rough edges.

At the helm of the project is Limited Run’s Audi Sorlie, a producer, author, Bubsy World Heavyweight Champion and arguably the world’s foremost expert on the furry franchise. Together with the team at Limited Run and Atari, he has created the ultimate retrospective celebration of Bubsy, the 3’6” tall 80 pound bobcat (with a pet armadillo named Arnold). What could possibly go wrong?

What is the Carbon Engine?

Created internally at Limited Run Games, the Carbon Engine is a development tool that allows legacy content to be ported to modern platforms. It uses emulation as a base, on top of which the Carbon Engine builds features like UI, rendering, audio, data management, controller inputs, and console-specific SDK features like trophies. It allows Limited Run to put out highly accurate, emulation-based ports of classic games for modern hardware. Old, well-loved releases can find a second wind on all-new hardware using the Carbon Engine. It is a core component of Limited Run’s vision for a world that is Forever Physical.

You all thought he was gone, but no, he was only taking a cat nap. Our favorite Bobcat pounces back into action with this collection of his pawsome classic games.

So far, the confirmed titles are Bubsy In Claws Encounter of the Furred Kind,B ubsy 2 (both console versions and GameBoy version) and Bubsy 3D. Wouldn't surprise me if the Atari Jaguar game gets included later on.

The game is set to release on all current consoles plus Steam in 2025. Link for the Steam version down here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3039890/Bubsy_in_The_Purrfect_Collection/

• Way Past Cool 1

Who is it for though? Like, Busy 1 is okay. It's okay! Greatly torn down by the games in the series that followed and Accolade's attempt to industry plant Bubsy harder than Sony does with Horizon, but the first game is completely fine.. If they had gotten a PC version that would have been sweet, but whatever.

Bubsy 3D is infamously bad (though not by any means "worst of all time" even when narrowed to PSX 3D platformers). Bubsy II is even worse than that; and I can't imagine the fucking GameBoy version is any better. So a collection of a single decent-to-good game, and three other games that are completely terrible? Who spends money on this? Why did Audi attach himself to it?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Who is it for though? Like, Busy 1 is okay. It's okay! Greatly torn down by the games in the series that followed and Accolade's attempt to industry plant Bubsy harder than Sony does with Horizon, but the first game is completely fine.. If they had gotten a PC version that would have been sweet, but whatever.

Bubsy 3D is infamously bad (though not by any means "worst of all time" even when narrowed to PSX 3D platformers). Bubsy II is even worse than that; and I can't imagine the fucking GameBoy version is any better. So a collection of a single decent-to-good game, and three other games that are completely terrible? Who spends money on this? Why did Audi attach himself to it?

It's for me

My name is spends money on this

This is my Sonic Mania

• Chuckle 1

Cool, even bad games deserve to be preserved like this. I'll probably buy it out of support, even if I'll never actually turn it on.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's time to stop trying to make Bubsy happen.

For game preservation's sake, yeah, sure, go ahead and make a collection, why not. But they keep trying to bring Bubsy back, based on nothing but being memetically awful, and I don't feel like anyone really cares. Even as a joke it's just beating a dead horse.

e: or at least give gex a turn next time

Edited by Diogenes

22 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I think it's time to stop trying to make Bubsy happen.

For game preservation's sake, yeah, sure, go ahead and make a collection, why not. But they keep trying to bring Bubsy back, based on nothing but being memetically awful, and I don't feel like anyone really cares. Even as a joke it's just beating a dead horse.

I, for one, respectfully disagree. I think anything, given the right people behind it, can work and Bubsy is no exception to this thought process.

Bubsy was always an unfortunate character in the grand scheme of things. He's the Daffy Duck of gaming, overshadowed by others and screwed over again and again. But just like Daffy, Bubsy can work given the right material and love. Love that Accolade never truly gave the franchise. Love that the creator of Bubsy wanted him to have.

Atari now owning the IP and having free reign to do anything they want with Bubsy opens up a ton of possibilities, including Bubsy games that could be genuinely solid experiences. Even if his reputation is very, very miss, I think there will always be that potential of greatness within this funky little dude, and I hope one day a chance is given to truly tap into it.

You guys may not care about Bubsy, which is totally fine, but I care.

I always root for the little guys.

• Nice Smile 2

On one hand, I'm not against the idea of giving Bubsy another shot, but it is a risky endeavor. I thought so even back in 2017, and since those efforts didn't pan out, I'd still call it risky at best.

Maybe I'll get this collection. Never got to play the first game, and it has been a demented curiosity for me. I don't think they'll do anything to improve Bubsy 3D, but I've been surprised before. Whether or not the Jaguar game gets included, well, hope it does, if only to complete the collection.

But yeah, maybe I'll get this, maybe I won't. We will see.

If they wanted Bubsy to "come back", they had chance in 2017 and gave us not one, but two most 'eh' games possible. So following that with collection is just squeezing last few pennies. 90% of buyers will do it out of curiosity or for LOLs, rather than affection.

I hope they put all the games, cartoon pilot, just everything. At least that will like gift to what fandom there is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure at this point LRG wants to have a meme release announcement every year or so, no matter how nonsensical or low priority it might be. Expect a port of The Town With No Name in the near future.

I should mention that, beyond being good for preservation, this could give us high quality looks at pieces of concept art and give us interviews that could be insight on the history of Bubsy, which means we can piece together more about, to say the least, what went wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

I should mention that, beyond being good for preservation, this could give us high quality looks at pieces of concept art and give us interviews that could be insight on the history of Bubsy, which means we can piece together more about, to say the least, what went wrong.

I had a laugh at the part where they hint at actually making the games good.

But you know what? If they can somehow touch up these games to no longer be a pain to play, all the more power to them.

Honestly, my only annoyance at this is the fact that far more better franchises don't often get as much good preservation treatment as Bubsy gets.

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I had a laugh at the part where they hint at actually making the games good.

But you know what? If they can somehow touch up these games to no longer be a pain to play, all the more power to them.

Honestly, my only annoyance at this is the fact that far more better franchises don't often get as much good preservation treatment as Bubsy gets.

I think, if anything, it's a hopeful sign

If BUBSY of all characters can get something like this, then there's chance for anything to come back. Just trust the plan, promise 

"Huh, neat."

Never played a Bubsy game before, so this should be interesting if I'm to ever pick it up. Seems like another high-quality collection from Limited Run Games. Always nice to see them preserve some more overlooked, not currently available games. A bit odd it won't be available on PS4 and Xbox One, especially the former, but I guess they're trying to move on.

I am curious to see what Atari does with Bubsy from here though. I mean, it was expected that they would attempt to bring him back ever since they bought the rights to the franchise. They even asked for any potential indie devs to take a look in hopes of making a new game not too long ago. Seeing as how they've used this strategy lately with their back catalog, resulting in some cool revitalizations of their old properties (the Recharged series for example), I'm interested in what fruit this could bear for a Bubsy game. A breath of new life in this series is exactly what it needs, especially since how some past developers of the games didn't exactly like the bobcat (hanging and stabbing free exclusive, cute plushies of Bubsy? Really?).

On 6/20/2024 at 4:53 PM, Diogenes said:

This exactly. I like Gex, or at least the first two game (don't own/haven't played the third one, nor the GameBoy versions). Although, I don't know if you know this already, but LRG did announce a Carbon Engined based Gex Trilogy collection about a year ago. Here's the trailer if you haven't seen it yet (in fact, it's what the Bubsy trailer is parodying):

Unfortunately, no information has been released since (at least to my knowledge), except for a vague "you'll hear more later this year" a couple months back, in response to a question on Twitter/X.

Edited by The DOMinator

On 6/28/2024 at 5:28 AM, The DOMinator said:

This exactly. I like Gex, or at least the first two game (don't own/haven't played the third one, nor the GameBoy versions). Although, I don't know if you know this already, but LRG did announce a Carbon Engined based Gex Trilogy collection about a year ago. Here's the trailer if you haven't seen it yet (in fact, it's what the Bubsy trailer is parodying):

Unfortunately, no information has been released since (at least to my knowledge), except for a vague "you'll hear more later this year" a couple months back, in response to a question on Twitter/X.

They released a new trailer the same day you posted. Not real information other than later this year, but its something of an update.

Honestly, the series I want released are the Jazz Jackrabbit and Commander Keen series. Okay... they technically already are, but it'd be nice if they weren't limited to PC as well as get something some added bonuses. Maybe even make the Keen series complete by figuring a way around the rights issues with Keen 6 and maybe included the Jazz 3 demo (or maybe even complete it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that; I don't think it was completed far beyond what the alpha demo had.)