Awoo.

Mario & Luigi: Brothership (Switch) (November 7th 2024)

Shiny Gems

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Mario & Luigi Brothership news: Peach will be an ally who helps you on your journey, which means she won't spend the entire game kidnapped and/or doing nothing other than providing exposition.

This is great new to be honest, if there was one consistent writing flaw of the Mario & Luigi games...it was how underutilized Peach was.

Her importance to the plots of prior games was only to have her kidnapped, but she'd get saved and then continue to do nothing for the rest of the story.

—-

Peach riding Dorrie around the islands with a little crew of her own will be the first decent use of her character in this series specifically.

Nice to see that they're finally doing something with Peach that's different than the usual ditchonomy of 'damsel in distress' or 'alternate player character' that she waffles between from game to game. And I mean for much of the Mario franchise, not just this series specifically. (Admittedly she had better roles in the first few Paper Mario games, and I don't know how she faired in the more 'recent' ones since Sticker Star because quite frankly I care nothing for the first two and find it difficult to care for Origami King when I find its mechanics so blasted frustrating to deal with.)

• Nice Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 7:51 PM, StaticMania said:

Mario & Luigi Brothership news: Peach will be an ally who helps you on your journey, which means she won't spend the entire game kidnapped and/or doing nothing other than providing exposition.

This is great new to be honest, if there was one consistent writing flaw of the Mario & Luigi games...it was how underutilized Peach was.

Her importance to the plots of prior games was only to have her kidnapped, but she'd get saved and then continue to do nothing for the rest of the story.

—-

Peach riding Dorrie around the islands with a little crew of her own will be the first decent use of her character in this series specifically.

If I remember right, Paper Jam (which came out NINE YEARS AGO, MIND YOU) did have Peach and Paper Peach actually making efforts to escape the clutches of the two Koopa Kings, which ultimately ended up working out in the end. So Brothership is going to be the SECOND Mario & Luigi game where Peach is actually utilized more.

Peach trying to escape on her own...is neat, but not the kind of story usage that matters in the grand scheme.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, fair point. While it is decent story usage, it's not as good as the stuff the first three Paper Mario entries gave her.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Anonymous Gamer said:

If I remember right, Paper Jam (which came out NINE YEARS AGO, MIND YOU) did have Peach and Paper Peach actually making efforts to escape the clutches of the two Koopa Kings, which ultimately ended up working out in the end. So Brothership is going to be the SECOND Mario & Luigi game where Peach is actually utilized more.

I mean, it's a Paper Mario game as well as a Mario + Luigi game. Of COURSE Peach is going to have more of a proactive role in a Paper Mario game, even if it's not on the same level as the first three Paper Mario games.

...I say that, after previously admitting I have no idea what Peach's roles are in the Sticker Star era...

Edited by Lorekitten
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Lorekitten said:

I mean, it's a Paper Mario game as well as a Mario + Luigi game. Of COURSE Peach is going to have more of a proactive role in a Paper Mario game, even if it's not on the same level as the first three Paper Mario games.

...I say that, after previously admitting I have no idea what Peach's roles are in the Sticker Star era...

Eh, wouldn't blame you - Sticker Star and Color Splash pretty much just had Intelligent Systems take an out-of-context joke line from Miyamoto seriously.

2 hours ago, Lorekitten said:

If you wanna know what she did, just picture the litterally every game she’s been in, as a NPC.

• Thumbs Up 1

That tangent aside, I am really excited for this game. Not as much as I am for MvC Fighting Collection, of course, but I have been a huge fan of Mario RPGs that are not Thousand Year Door & Super Paper Mario.

And no, I will not let go of the fact that Beldam literally robbed Grodus of his villain role and that Dimentio being the real bad guy was made obvious HALF WAY INTO SUPER PAPER MARIO INSTEAD OF HAVING IT KEPT SECRET UNTIL THE END OF THE GAME.