Awoo.

Mario & Luigi: Brothership (Switch) (November 7th 2024)

Shiny Gems

Here it is. A new Mario and Luigi game after 9 years! This looks really good! I think I may get this myself. I do wonder who is making it, though? Probably does not matter, as this is very exciting to me!

So, what do you all think?

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Announced during the Nintendo Direct - and possibly the biggest surprise of the whole thing given the series has been outright dead and the developer gone defunct - Mario and Luigi is back for a full blown console entry, where Mario and Luigi traverse the seven seas in a brand new adventure!

As a gigantic Mario & Luigi fan, I am so, SO happy to see this, and not only is it a new console game, but it's a brand new ENTRY. I was fully expecting just a Superstar Saga remake if we ever saw the series again given Alpha Dream had gone defunct. This game looks absolutely hype, and I can't wait for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Mario & Luigi Series will return this fall.

GQXSFvvXsAA7IKJ?format=jpg&name=large

The bond between brothers has never been stronger! Set sail for an island-hopping adventure with the Mario Bros. in Mario & Luigi: Brothership!

Launching November 7th 2024 on Nintendo Switch.

Edited by Sonictrainer

• The title was changed to Mario & Luigi: Brothership announced! (November 7th, 2024)

IM NOT INSANE! YES!

Ohhh, man, i LOVE this series with ALL my heart, and with 9 YEARS, it's triumphant return is here. i could die happy.

i love the 3D art style, as we have never seen a Cel-Shaded Mario Game. (Corect me if I'm wrong.) I am 36 minutes late, but at least I got to see the tail end of it! i am SO STOKED (Srry @Lorekittenfor the outburst), and I just CANNOT contain myself rn!!!! My first M&L game was Dream team, then moved on to Paper Jam. although the latter is considered the weakest link, as a person who loved the paper Mario series, I was totally blinded by that fact. The new Tutorial character seems funny, and the new world seems VERY reminesant of the Flower Kingdom. i saw many flower-based things, and with the one Peach Cameo, I belive we will get something akin to TTYD's Peach Sections. i wouldn't be mad if that isn't the case, but at least my girl is free! Colors are poppy, New characters OTHER than toads, and the HYPE. IS. ON!!

Other than that, the HD remake of DK returns, with 3DS stuff is cool! My mom is VERY into DK, so i'd be glad to play with her! i sure do hope they do that with Shadow Generations, so we can play Water Palace and Radical Highway as bonus stages! Marvel vs. Capcom is a nice addition too!

also, MARIO PARTY????? Nintendo really is the Kings of left field! the Battle Royal is cool, and so is it's name! October is long, but who CARES!!!! It seems like they are pulling an "Everyone is here" thing. Speaking of Left Feild, NEW ZELDA???????? AND you actually play as Zelda??? This gives MAYJOR Peach: Showtime, Does it not? The new way to play is HELLA welcome, and I like the art direction and Name. it seems as if all zelda games go like "The Legend Of Zelda: [Blank] of the [Blank] (Heh, Chuckle of the Knuckle). the wisdom part makes so much sense, as she is the holder of the Wisdom. The Staff and "Tri" is also similar to Showtime.

The new Lego game is... Alright. Feels like Minecraft but with story. don't get me wrong, I like that, its just... odd. The New Zelda Switch thingy is cool! Perfect for anyone who I Just now getting into the Series. The Port of Stray is cool too! The Holiday... is okay, but meh. The Hobbit game is NOT my cup of tea. The chat is going FERAL for Tomigatchi life, and I agree, that game was cool. The Wright Collection is interesting, and Cant wait to see it! The Chat is also raving for a Mario Galaxy? that, my friends, would be SO MARVOLUS!!!!

The Last Announcement: Metroid Prime 4: Beyond. Personally, I've never familerized myself with the series, but if entirely possible, id like to someday! Nintendo can't please EVERYONE, but it was a Shot! So Glad to see everything! it was a near miss from a W For everyone, but what did you expect?

I am SOOOOOOOOO fucking happy right now. MY FAVORITE RPG SERIES IS ALIVE AND IT'S LOOKING DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS!!! 😍😍😍

• Nice Smile 1

I didn't think this would happen THIS soon after us already getting two Mario RPGs in a row, but as a fan of the series, I will happily eat my crow.

The Extension Corps are lookin' awesome; I've always been a fan of inorganic character designs (which makes me an anomaly in the Pokemon fanbase; if you know you know), and seeing these guys as villains excites me. I will however state that the art style for Brothership is... a bit off in my eyes; it looks like they tried to find a happy medium between the series' traditional art style and full 3D console graphics, and the result is not an entirely happy medium. It kind of feels like it's not 2D enough, but not 3D enough either. Don't get me wrong, the graphics aren't ugly by any means; they just look like they could've been pushed a bit farther.

• Fist Bump 1

I wonder who they've got developing this?  The classic Mario & Luigi expressiveness is right there.  Oh there are three different threads for this game, I sense that people may be a little bit excited.  I'm sensing a sort of back-to-basics tone here - no gimmicky giant battles, just deepening the playable interactions between the two brothers.  I think that's the right approach (assuming I'm not just, well, making assumptions).

One week between this and Dragon Quest III HD-2D.  Absolutely brutal.

It looks like this is going to release not too long after Sonic X Shadow Generations will. I wonder if this will be a problem for Sonic and the games will be competing for sales and attention. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, FireWolf said:

It looks like this is going to release not too long after Sonic X Shadow Generations will. I wonder if this will be a problem for Sonic and the games will be competing for sales and attention. 

Good question.….Honestly, I can see that being a problem for SoniccX Shadow Generations.

Yet another display of FANTASTIC animation from the Mario series...

The art style is great and I like that some of the bros attacks seem to be going back to actual physical cooperation which is great.

New original characters, new partner, Peach looks grand.

The better RPG series comes back.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, FireWolf said:

I wouldn't have thought so.  Very different gameplay genre and, thanks to the Shadow emphasis, vibes.  I think Generations will be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I CALLED IT!

Okay, I guess I didn't actually think it was going to happen, but in the back of my mind, thinking about what could be revealed for this Nintendo Direct, I wondered. We got amazing remakes of Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario TTYD, so it only felt right (not likely, but right) to give Mario and Luigi some love. But with the series' two best adventures being remade already, the only other option was a new game. And it ACTUALLY HAPPENED! Not gonna lie, I squealed like a schoolgirl.

The graphical style looks more gorgeous than ever. Whoever the developer is really cut loose with the series' first console entry. And look at that! New locations! New characters! New enemies! No generic maps full of generic Toads, Goombas, and Koopa Troopas! And perhaps best of all, NO STARLOW! Wee!

As far as the developer goes, I've always been of the mind that once AlphaDream folded, NIntendo brought at least a handful of team members on board so they could continue making games like this one. Dunno if it actually happened or not, but the game certainly nails the feel of the previous games. I just hope we still have Yoko Shimomura on soundtrack duties and she wasn't too busy redoing the music for Super Mario RPG to work on this game.

It's so insane to think that we went from Super Mario RPG getting virtually no love, Paper Mario going completely off the rails, and Mario and Luigi's developer going under to getting all three Mario RPG franchises reborn within a year's time. We are eating GOOD, my friends.

1 hour ago, FireWolf said:

Not from me, that's for sure! Day 1 purchase for both.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I really hope the game's title is actually hinting at a focus on Mario & Luigi's brotherhood, and not just a nice pun title.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I really hope the game's title is actually hinting at a focus on Mario & Luigi's brotherhood, and not just a nice pun title.

Judging by the last two games, in Europe the title will be "Mario & Luigi: Brothership Bros."

Quite possibly everything I could have asked for out of a console Mario & Luigi game, and it looks pretty similar to Superstar Saga so far--music to my ears since it's still head-and-shoulders my favorite. I never really cared for all the stuff that Dream Team and even BiS tacked on, so I'm all for this. And it looks like they're finally using more original enemies and locations again. Can't wait for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

And it looks like they're finally using more original enemies and locations again.

I really wish this talk would stick to Paper Mario discussion, it literally only applies to one game for this series.

16 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

And it looks like they're finally using more original enemies and locations again.

This is definitely a plus in my book, and a good sign for the direction of Mario RPGs as a whole. But I agree with StaticMania's assessment that the Mario & Luigi series has never suffered from lack of original enemies and locations.

Edited by Lorekitten

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I really wish this talk would stick to Paper Mario discussion, it literally only applies to one game for this series.

I thought the 3DS remakes were worse artistically than their original versions (especially regarding enemy designs). It definitely never got as bad as Paper Mario, but it got noticeably worse post-Dream Team and it felt like things were becoming homogenized. The new game's new artstyle helps a lot in alleviating that.

That seems to be part of...budgetary reasons that ended up making the company go bankrupt and not for any other reason.

Which is why Bowser's Inside Story looks worse overall even using the same style.

Kevin Afghani sounds like he's having an absolute ball here; all these fresh voice clips for the Bros, particularly in those fully animated cutscenes, I can imagine'll help make the two more lively than ever in this series. I honestly think the cel-shaded 3D look more appealing to me than the 3DS game's art; the colors here pop up better, more akin to the GBA/DS titles. The promo artwork is weaker on the other hand, tweaking the designs for consistency to the point where it feels as they they just traced over the models versus drawing them from complete scratch like they've always been doing.

And I'd hate to wipe anyone's smile off their face, but 1:17 has me wondering is that's indicates the return off the "perfect special attacks hit all enemies" thing from the SMRPG remake. Now ArtePiazza isn't usually known for making brand new games, but that perfect bonus, plus the how the cutscenes and the flashy end of the Shell move are animated feels similar to RPG. The Bros. Move shown prior didn't have a "kaboom attack" though, even with an "Excellent", so it's either not the case for all of them or there's a small extra set of timeframes you gotta land on. It just strikes me as odd that an meant for one enemy would also do smaller damage for the adjacent enemy, unless it comes from the enemy itself.

Personal game of the Direct IMO. I wonder what the big twist is gonna be.

Can I just say that while I personally am not the biggest fan of the art direction shift to 3D models aping 2D animation, the art style did a perfect job of making it clear from the first few seconds that this is a Mario & Luigi game, so I will give it full credit for that.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

Can I just say that while I personally am not the biggest fan of the art direction shift to 3D models aping 2D animation, the art style did a perfect job of making it clear from the first few seconds that this is a Mario & Luigi game, so I will give it full credit for that.

Agreed.  The visual direction was completely unmistakeable - which tells me that it's probably either the same development staff having been absorbed into Nintendo, or a separate development team who really did their homework.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that Origami King could have been the sole non-Rabbids Mario RPG for Switch and Nintendo instead tripled down by remaking two of the most beloved entries in two different series and bringing a third series back from the dead with a new entry is crazy. The fact they're all being released one year after another also either means a crazy turn around time based on initial success, or just a genuine commitment to please every small niche in their fanbase.

Sega, take notes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Meet new friends along the way, like Connie and Snoutlet (who's definitely not a pig), and encounter familiar faces from the Mushroom Kingdom like Peach and Bowser, who may help you on your journey!

Mario & Luigi Brothership news: Peach will be an ally who helps you on your journey, which means she won't spend the entire game kidnapped and/or doing nothing other than providing exposition.

This is great new to be honest, if there was one consistent writing flaw of the Mario & Luigi games...it was how underutilized Peach was.

Her importance to the plots of prior games was only to have her kidnapped, but she'd get saved and then continue to do nothing for the rest of the story.

—-

Peach riding Dorrie around the islands with a little crew of her own will be the first decent use of her character in this series specifically.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1