Awoo.

Was it a bad idea to have the TV shows and comics be tied to the game canon?

Rabbitearsblog

This restriction did kinda have effects on Prime, actually; it’s few original characters that weren’t variants were so bland nobody really noticed them, and some of those variants ended up coming across as annoying and overdone, possibly these being done as to make sure fans would not clamor for these characters to enter the games proper, while trying not to make themselves too distinct as a continuity. Not to mention, how restricted they were about game zone use in the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think one of the big issues of having the game canon come into the TV shows and comics is that there's not that much to work with.  Like, the games don't really have a fully fleshed out canon and whenever SEGA tries to give out explanations about what to put into the TV shows and comics, there's not much that the writers could work with and they have to come up with their own lore to fill out the requirements.  Also, TV shows and comic books play by different rules in comparison to video games.  Sometimes, video games can get away with not having a fleshed out canon or story.  But with TV shows and comic books, they need fleshed out stories to make things work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I think keeping everything in line with the games is one of the most boring decisions this franchise has followed within the past decade.

For as much as a mess of ideas as they used to be, I really miss when offshoot media about Sonic was allowed to do its own thing like Archie/Satam/Underground/X/yada yada yada could do. By limiting everything to being true to the games it feels so...limiting. Even something like IDW, while enjoyable, still feels really "safe" with how it handles things. You can't really affect the main cast all that much because the status quo has to be kept so they are in line with the games. That's lame.

I just prefer when other medias took full advantage of the fact it didn't have to follow the game guidelines and could get crazy with its ideas.

I want to extend this to the idea that everything being in a timeline is also really boring considering this franchise has never cared all that much about consistency and did whatever the hell it wanted to (One game you're in a super futuristic world with Riders, the next you're adventuring through literal storybooks, and the next game aliens are attacking Earth that are also related to Shadow for some reason). But I think that's a separate can of worms for a wholly different discussion.

In regards to Prime specifically, it's really hard to pinpoint because Prime could've been really interesting, while staying true to the game canon, if it simply had better writers. I don't think Prime was held back by trying to be canon as much as it was held back by its writing. Only while watching Prime did I actually start missing Pontaff. A lot.

Edited by LegoFedora
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Unamused 2

I agree with the above poster. I really like most of the spinoffs have their own logic and rules. I really do not like most of them have to be like the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I go with "canon adjacent" as a form of middle ground, like with the inconsistencies with the games themselves. Both of these outside media (primarily, IDW and Prime) can be canon as long as you don't think too hard about it; like the lack of human presence in both of them outside of Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/4/2024 at 10:46 PM, LegoFedora said:

Yes, I think keeping everything in line with the games is one of the most boring decisions this franchise has followed within the past decade.

For as much as a mess of ideas as they used to be, I really miss when offshoot media about Sonic was allowed to do its own thing like Archie/Satam/Underground/X/yada yada yada could do. By limiting everything to being true to the games it feels so...limiting. Even something like IDW, while enjoyable, still feels really "safe" with how it handles things. You can't really affect the main cast all that much because the status quo has to be kept so they are in line with the games. That's lame.

I just prefer when other medias took full advantage of the fact it didn't have to follow the game guidelines and could get crazy with its ideas.

I want to extend this to the idea that everything being in a timeline is also really boring considering this franchise has never cared all that much about consistency and did whatever the hell it wanted to (One game you're in a super futuristic world with Riders, the next you're adventuring through literal storybooks, and the next game aliens are attacking Earth that are also related to Shadow for some reason). But I think that's a separate can of worms for a wholly different discussion.

In regards to Prime specifically, it's really hard to pinpoint because Prime could've been really interesting, while staying true to the game canon, if it simply had better writers. I don't think Prime was held back by trying to be canon as much as it was held back by its writing. Only while watching Prime did I actually start missing Pontaff. A lot.

The movies are basically the only continuity that does what the comics used to do nowadays, what with the pseudo origin story for example.  And I think this is the very first time I’ve heard someone say that they miss Pontaff unironically.

Edited by Multikaris
  • Thumbs Up 2