Awoo.

Favorite Moments of Sonic the Hedgehog

Cuz

What are the best moments in this storied series to you? Could be from anywhere in this franchise. From game, to manga, cartoon, comic, movie. 

1.) The Natsu no Hi Song.

The best SonAmy moment is this love song told from Sonic's point of view that bookends the second season of Sonic X. 

2.) Sonic CD Opening and Ending Cutscenes

One of the first things to depict Sonic's speed as fun parkour. It would be awesome moving through Sonic's world at sonic speed.

3.) Sonic and Shadow's heart to heart in SA2

"Just a guy who loves adventure" is such a great quote from Sonic.

What are some of your favorites? I could probably take up more but I'll leave you to it for now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Have to say these moments stood out for me over the years. Some of these aren't exactly cinematic 'scene' moments but rather points in time that really hit me in the feels for one reason or another.

IMG_8458.jpeg

Silver Sonic Fight (Sonic 2 MS/GG)

As the Master System was my first game console, the Sonic games there have a special place in my heart. Sonic 2 in particular was super hard, which made getting to the Scrambled Egg boss all the more momentous for a kid. One-hit deaths, small and fast, difficult to hit, and if you lost all your lives it was right back to Under Ground Zone... it was a tense fight.

The other thing about this fight was that Silver Sonic was the effective 'guardian' of the Crystal Egg Zone, which you could only access if you collected all the Chaos Emeralds at that point. Just a moment full of pressure, haha.

IMG_8459.webp

Doomsday Zone (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

I loved how the older Sonic games told its story through gameplay, from the destruction of Angel Island to the face-off between Sonic and Knuckles in Hidden Palace. Doomsday Zone was something extra-level though. In terms of how it made me feel though, it's a toss-up between this and the MASSIVE Death Egg Robot boss that precedes this.

IMG_8460.png

Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure)

"Sonic is Back!" - people say this from time to time but the only time Sonic ever really 'left' was during the mid-90s. So when the Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure started getting promoted in game stores, it was a BIG deal. Sonic not only was truly back after years of absence, but he was in 3D and in a lush colourful world. Emerald Coast was the stage that always played on demo kiosks across the country and I'll never forget the feeling I had when I saw it every time, watching other people play and enjoy it. For a very short while, SEGA was cool again.

IMG_8461.webp

Shadow Rescues Rouge (Sonic Adventure 2)

I ADORED Sonic Adventure 2 when it came out on the Dreamcast (many a Summer day sat in trying to get the highest possible score in Pyramid Cave), and I was a big fan of both the gameplay and the story. But what I found most interesting were the Dark Story scenes, where we were able to get some cool moments behind the bad guys' motivations. The whole Metal Harbor/Green Forest part of the game was entirely cool to me, but what struck me was seeing another side of Shadow as he rushes to save Rouge on the island.

I also love the opening scene where Sonic just rips apart a helicopter and goes chucking himself down into the city, of course. What a cool moment!

IMG_8462.jpeg

Death Egg Robot Battle (Sonic Movie 2)

I love the characterisation of Sonic and his pals in the Paramount movies, and the final act of Sonic 2 is packed full of awesome moments. From Knuckles just falling off the Tornado to deal some damage, to the Mega Drive manual reference, Robotnik's heavy metal jig, and the Super Sonic ending.

But what I probably love the most is the way Sonic, Tails and Knuckles all club together to take down Robotnik. It gives me total Sonic Heroes vibes the whole way through. Love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Super Sonic scene in Sonic 2. Purely beautiful.

As much as i want to say something here, I just don't know. i could say the end of Sonic 2 16 bit, given that it was a hard fight, and I got 100%, and that goes for 1 and CD, but that moment, doesn't resonate with me like these moments.

The opening to Sonic Colors is pretty cool, not to mention Endless Possibilities. Knight of the Wind hits home for me not because of Sonic's journey, but mine. it just connects to how I feel, espessialy the verse "Like a knight, ill fight, until the battle's won". to me, that represents the determination needed to keep going, even though the odds seem impossible. "Unknown From M.E." does the same, except shows the courage needed to face pain in the face. don't fear it, not at all.

The End of Sonic Origins is interesting, because it shows that the adventure is far from over. other than that, nah, I don't really have any moments. just music ig :)

Here's a few of mine from the Sonic comics:

• Super Ray (Archie). Before Sonic Mania canonized Ray as having a Super Form, Ian Flynn was stuck on a cliffhanger with only one idea as to how to get Vector and Ray out of a jam, and he thought that idea was kind of stupid but he did it anyway. Well, he was wrong, because Ray bullshitting his way to victory by faking a Super transformation to scare away the army of wingdingo badniks was pure gold.
  • Shadow stealing Snively's hair (Archie). In my early days of the fandom, this issue was my very favorite for several reasons. While in hindsight it doesn't hold up quite as well as my nostalgia remembers it as, the gag plotline of Shadow stealing Snively's hair and Snively having his hairs individually tracked was hilarious.
  • Tails' Adventure (Archie). Antoine and Bunnie's honeymoon goes horribly wrong when their vacation destination has been sniped by the Battlebird Armada, who kidnap the newlyweds and things only get crazier from there. There's a lot to like about this series, especially for an Antoine stan like me (I still can't believe that Ian Flynn actually remembered Antoine's pickpocketing skills from way back in the early series but let's face it, he's Ian Flynn, of course he remembered), but the part that sticks out in my mind the most is the cliffhanger scene where Antoine fakes a lover's leap but the readers don't know he's faking it. Pretty intense for a kid's comic.
  • Dr. Starline's attempted murder of Sonic and Silver (IDW). The guy's first real encounter with Sonic, and he almost completely wastes him on the first try... only to get the crap kicked out of him by an angry Eggman, who does NOT like the attempted kill-stealing. Instant karma. (It was better than Starline deserved.)
  • The entire Bad Guys miniseries (IDW). This series is Starline at his wicked best, as he manipulates a group of dangerous criminals into working as his lackeys while secretly plotting to kill them all once they've outlived their usefulness. This series also introduced a number of Starline's staples, such as the multi-use heel spurs, the hypno-glove, his tendency to trick his lackeys into thinking he is working for them, and of course his oddly humanizing vlog habit.
  • Starline vs. Eggman (IDW). Yes, I clearly have a favorite child. Basically this is Eggman proving why he's the Big Bad of the series and showing up the treacherous upstart that thinks he can move in on his turf. I love how Starline starts out with 'this situation can be salvaged!' and gradually gets more and more desperate as he realizes that actually, he's pretty much toast. And then he gets beaten so severely that he literally loses the will to live.
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Have to say these moments stood out for me over the years. Some of these aren't exactly cinematic 'scene' moments but rather points in time that really hit me in the feels for one reason or another.

IMG_8458.jpeg

Silver Sonic Fight (Sonic 2 MS/GG)

Very interesting choice, I never made it very far in Sonic 2 Master System. Glad to see it had such an impression on you.

4.) Sonic gets knighted by the King. (Archie) Wish I could remember which issue this is but I remember it being cool as a kid think of Sonic as a knight. 

5.)  Bunnie and Mecha Knuckles vs. Mecha Sonic

image.png.27c0c66c7fdac1ca668b3740a868acea.pngimage.png.0b78555bbeffff12de3c640d8e429ccc.png

What couldn't be cooler then super fighting robots? DBZ caliber fights with Spaz art. Check it out.

6.) The charge agaisnt the Xoda. 

image.thumb.png.ce56a0f82cc4e085106f1a900d89c6cb.png

and you get a cameo and you get a cameo and you get a cameo. It came on fast and hard but felt like a fitting end to a milestone issue, and we finally dispense with this will they won't they dynamic between Sonic and Sally.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Very interesting choice, I never made it very far in Sonic 2 Master System. Glad to see it had such an impression on you.

Honestly, the way I screamed in joy when I saw Silver Sonic's cameo during the Metal Sonic battle in Sonic Mania, it was like I was seven years old again haha!

This has been fun seeing everyone else's moments and experiences, I never caught up with the Archie comics so it's fascinating to see the impact it's had on loads of 90s US Sonic fans!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Mine is probably the opening cutscene to Shadow the Hedgehog. Was it overdramatic and gritty? Yes. Was it still Badass? Yes. Yes it was.

Another is the final boss of Sonic Adventure. That Perfect Chaos boss fight was cool, especially with Open Your Heart in the background.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are some of my personal faves :)

• The scene in Sonic Frontiers during the Wyvern fight when Sonic throws it into the mountain. The whole shot of the scene is awesome. I mean, the whole fight is awesome, but I always get chills during that sequence. Ares Island really was the pinnacle of Frontiers' story for me. I wasn't a big fan of the sand, but it beat how dreary and sad Kronos and Chaos were. And how barren Rhea and Ouranos were. Honorable mention goes to the final boss of Final Horizon, though. Cyber Sonic was sick.
  • (All of Sonic Adventure 2) I mean, the last story of Sonic Adventure 2! The Biolizard fight (Supporting me is such a good track), the Final Hazard fight (Live and Learn is even better!), and just the whole thing. SA2 is my special little guy, and I stand by the viewpoint that it remains one of the best Sonic games. I think it has a lot of flaws, but it's not even CLOSE to being a bad game. It introduced Rouge, my favorite character, it had an engaging story, great level design, a gameplay system that worked really well and still holds up, oh the days when Shadow was an at least semi - engaging character, and the final story was great. So, memorable moment was SA2's final story/boss.
  • The Super Sonic scene in the second Sonic movie was spine chilling the first time around.
  • STC's Running Wild arc. Super Sonic is a funny little dude and it was fun seeing him rampage like a maniac.

Those are just the ones I can recall right now; there's probably more, though

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

For me there is at least 1 from each "era".

Classic era - Lava Reef Boss. The looming Death egg in sky the looks imposing as hell, then you get a cheapshot from Knuckles before it activates its eye lasers and the whole volcano is active and its like....wow! It feels like the endgame is fast approaching.

Adventure era - Probably completing Heroes' final boss on ps2 and thinking "thank god for that" before firing up the Mega / gems collections.

Modern era - still the opening of Unleashed in terms of "wow", gameplay wise the first time i hit boost in Windmil Isle and I actually thought "woooooaaaw, a Sonic game thats actually crazy fast!" I still get that buzz when I do speed runs in those modern stages and get them nailed.

Portable - 3ds' Generations Modern Sonic take on Mushroom hill zone. All of it. Its so well presented and is a nice evolution on the classic version. Music is great too.

Post Gens era - Mania's Stardust Speedway Act 2 inc. Metal Sonic battle. Much better than Cds stages and the boss fight is great. Not sure if I prefer the original or post update version though.

Other media - Sonic the Comic issue 8 where Sonic's origin is explored tied with Sonic 2's introduction of Knuckles..."does it look?" Line. It was was almost 1994 again. Minus the emeralds spilling out. Almost. Lol

Edited by castell-neath

There are many, but one that I really love and never stops being great every time I replay the game or watch it in a video, is the final cutscene of Sonic Advance 2, the extra ending.

Without the context it might not feel right: it's the build up, the boss, this scene and then the staff roll connected to it, the spectacle is only comparable to some of Sonic Frontiers' Super Sonic bossfights, though there's also some emotional value in this, not just the spectacle.

I couldn't believe when I completed Zelda Tears of the Kingdom and

Spoiler

I realized that there's a very similar moment, though it was hundreds times less epic than this

Sonic Adventure 2 is full of great moments too.

• Thumbs Up 1