Awoo.

[EVENT] The Sonic Stadium 52 Game Challenge 2024! - New Prizes every week! Current Prize: Sonic and the Secret Rings profile gift AND Sonic's Birthday Bash challenge for additional prizes!

Ryannumber1gamer

Ryannumber1gamer
This post was recognized by Ryannumber1gamer!

Salamander was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

One of my favourite Sonic games is a heck of an incentive, so here's my check-in for this new week:

Ongoing: SaGa Emerald Beyond (Switch) - I beat Bonnie & Formina's campaign... and immediately dove straight back in to do it again, carrying over Battle Rank for a continuous increase in difficulty.  I didn't feel like I was done after just one round.  The difficulty scaling is really very well-handled; it was definitely harder on average throughout my second run, but even so, I conquered.  Two final boss defeats and my current character select screen are below.

Spoiler

tmC3yu3.jpg

lwGLKOP.jpg

JyhSRG6.jpg

Ongoing: Picontier (Switch) - Very little now stands between me and shooting for the end of the game with 100%, and I have taken a screenshot of exactly what the hold-up is.

Spoiler

WcbY2OI.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Indivisible https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/9749-indivisible/Rabid-Coot

Classic case of a game being downloaded months ago as a declaration of intent just sitting on the console until it hits the leaving soon section.

Never really clicked with the combat system in this, it just felt like I was wildly mashing buttons all the way through. Platforming side was fun but I felt there wasn't enough that really got into using all the skills.

Probably could've done to be a bit shorter, having you get to the end zone and be kicked back down to do one more thing in each area then climb up a second time just felt like padding.

Finished: 33 Completed: 33

• Thumbs Up 1

#27/52 - Mario Kart: Super Circuit (Game Boy Advance)

Only finished the normal cups in 100cc mode. It sucks.

Mario Kart - Super Circuit (USA)-0.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Bortificatin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Got some more additions for the checklist this week.

Game #21 - The Punisher (Arcade - CPS2) [Completed] 

punisheru-240603-001436.thumb.png.1dd9d3e3585bdaa86095a218d3bccd47.png

Capcom’s first title ever in collaboration with Marvel, predating X-Men: CotA. NGL, had never heard of this game until seeing it in the version of Marvel vs Capcom Official Complete Works that comes with UMvC3. The game is pretty damn fun, kinda like a slightly-gorier version of Final Fight, now with guns. It is weird to see how comically large the Kingpin is during the final boss. Dude has Spider-Verse proportions. 

Game #22 - Mega Man 2, Wily Wars ver. (Genesis) [Completed] 

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240604-234054.thumb.png.bf453954283ab2db83f1b1c8a426a42e.pngMegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240604-234149.thumb.png.3874c173f7c5598b7dea8c76127d3c05.png

The most iconic game in the series, what many people think of first when it comes to the blue bomber… and it just so happens to be the first exposure I ever got to the franchise, via the original iPhone port believe it or not. Happened upon the lite version that only had Wood Man and got interested enough to buy the full version. That specific version has since been delisted and there’s a newer mobile port; I have no clue if it’s any better than worse than the original. That tangent aside, I decided to play the Genesis version this time around because I felt in the mood to play through Wily Tower, and need to beat MM1-3 to get there. I know that the general consensus is that the NES version is superior to the Genesis remake but I still think there’s some charm to it. Some songs even benefit from the Genesis “twang”, such as the Wood Man theme. 

Game #23 - Mega Man 3, Wily Wars ver. (Genesis) [Completed]

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-153323.thumb.png.e7962f4b3ba2545bf4e7c69880384aa3.pngMegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-153352.thumb.png.1a05a5db5ef631070f3a3121339c7bb8.png

Would it be a hot take to say this one’s actually my least favorite of the original trilogy? It’s weird because the game has a lot going for it: the addition of the slide and Rush, the first appearance of Proto Man/Blues, and having some of my favorite Robot Master designs (Snake Man, Shadow Man, Gemini Man). I dunno, I guess I just don’t vibe with the game, particularly the Doc Robot stages. It’s still a pretty good game though, just don’t enjoy it as much as 1 or 2. And the ending song with Proto Man's whistle still tugs at the heartstrings man.

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-134950.thumb.png.d45a3b3f26cfeb561d619996f550b483.png

I also did complete the Wily Wars version of MM1 but I already beat the NES version for the challenge so that’s not counting again. As a quick aside, is The Wily Tower run eligible to count as a full game to be completed for this challenge? I mean it does have its own set of stages, mechanics, and even its own credits sequence. But at the same time it’s technically also a bonus for a game compilation which could also count against it… @Ryannumber1gamer, I’ll defer to your judgement on this. 

Game Completed List

Spoiler
  1. Fortnite Chapter 5 Season 1 - Finished
  2. Pokemon Violet - Finished
  3. Mega Man - Completed
  4. Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Asche - Completed
  5. Dragon Ball Z V.R.V.S. - Completed
  6. Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 - Finished
  7. Mega Man: The Power Battles - Completed
  8. Sonic the Fighters - Completed 
  9. Street Fighter X Mega Man - Completed 
  10. Smash Remix - Completed 
  11. Sonic Colors Ultimate - Finished 
  12. Street Fighter Alpha - Completed 
  13. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Completed 
  14. Sonic Superstars - Finished
  15. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes - Completed 
  16. Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes - Completed
  17. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Completed 
  18. X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Completed 
  19. Marvel Super Heroes - Completed 
  20. Sonic Drift - Completed
  21. The Punisher - Completed
  22. Mega Man 2 (Wily Wars) - Completed
  23. Mega Man 3 (Wily Wars) - Completed

Bonus Challenge - Big the Cat April Fool’s Takeover: Sonic Adventure 

Bonus Challenge - Knuckles Week: Sonic the Fighters 

Bonus Challenge - Racing Challenge: Sonic Drift

Games Finished: 23

Games Completed: 18

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Bortificatin said:

Got some more additions for the checklist this week.

Game #21 - The Punisher (Arcade - CPS2) [Completed] 

punisheru-240603-001436.thumb.png.1dd9d3e3585bdaa86095a218d3bccd47.png

Capcom’s first title ever in collaboration with Marvel, predating X-Men: CotA. NGL, had never heard of this game until seeing it in the version of Marvel vs Capcom Official Complete Works that comes with UMvC3. The game is pretty damn fun, kinda like a slightly-gorier version of Final Fight, now with guns. It is weird to see how comically large the Kingpin is during the final boss. Dude has Spider-Verse proportions. 

Game #22 - Mega Man 2, Wily Wars ver. (Genesis) [Completed] 

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240604-234054.thumb.png.bf453954283ab2db83f1b1c8a426a42e.pngMegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240604-234149.thumb.png.3874c173f7c5598b7dea8c76127d3c05.png

The most iconic game in the series, what many people think of first when it comes to the blue bomber… and it just so happens to be the first exposure I ever got to the franchise, via the original iPhone port believe it or not. Happened upon the lite version that only had Wood Man and got interested enough to buy the full version. That specific version has since been delisted and there’s a newer mobile port; I have no clue if it’s any better than worse than the original. That tangent aside, I decided to play the Genesis version this time around because I felt in the mood to play through Wily Tower, and need to beat MM1-3 to get there. I know that the general consensus is that the NES version is superior to the Genesis remake but I still think there’s some charm to it. Some songs even benefit from the Genesis “twang”, such as the Wood Man theme. 

Game #23 - Mega Man 3, Wily Wars ver. (Genesis) [Completed]

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-153323.thumb.png.e7962f4b3ba2545bf4e7c69880384aa3.pngMegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-153352.thumb.png.1a05a5db5ef631070f3a3121339c7bb8.png

Would it be a hot take to say this one’s actually my least favorite of the original trilogy? It’s weird because the game has a lot going for it: the addition of the slide and Rush, the first appearance of Proto Man/Blues, and having some of my favorite Robot Master designs (Snake Man, Shadow Man, Gemini Man). I dunno, I guess I just don’t vibe with the game, particularly the Doc Robot stages. It’s still a pretty good game though, just don’t enjoy it as much as 1 or 2. And the ending song with Proto Man's whistle still tugs at the heartstrings man.

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-134950.thumb.png.d45a3b3f26cfeb561d619996f550b483.png

I also did complete the Wily Wars version of MM1 but I already beat the NES version for the challenge so that’s not counting again. As a quick aside, is The Wily Tower run eligible to count as a full game to be completed for this challenge? I mean it does have its own set of stages, mechanics, and even its own credits sequence. But at the same time it’s technically also a bonus for a game compilation which could also count against it… @Ryannumber1gamer, I’ll defer to your judgement on this. 

Game Completed List

Reveal hidden contents
  3. Mega Man - Completed

Games Finished: 23

Games Completed: 18

Wily Tower is eligible, I myself have done it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Bortificatin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Got even more games for the list this week!

Game # 24 - Bakugan Battle Brawlers (PS2) [Finished]

Bakugan-BattleBrawlers(USA)-240605-204428.thumb.png.a46317756665191158d979131713139a.png

I was really big on Bakugan when I was a kid, was a fan of the anime and had several Bakugan (my main ones being a Darkus Percival, a Ventus Oberus, and a Subterra Wilda) although I kinda fell off around the end of New Vestroia.. At one point my dad was at a Best Buy and saw a game for it at a bargain bin and got it for me. I ended up really liking the game, it’s pretty much a virtual version of the IRL game but with specialized arenas filled with power ups and stuff for you Bakugan to pick up before actually landing on a gate card. It’s story was pretty much a  sort of mini arc of the show with your own self-insert protagonist and a new Bakugan created for the game, Leonidas (as an aside I’m kinda sad Leonidas or Omega Leonidas never actually got an IRL Bakugan during the run of the original series). Oddly enough this game is prolly the reason I like using the dark element in any game with elemental specializations, as why I’m fond of the “dark is not evil” trope. Anyways for this new run I mostly ran a Deck with a Darkus Leonidas, Fortress, and Harpus (occasionally switching out Harpus for Tentaclear). I finished the main campaign, but still have to get every Bakugan and card, as well as do the post-game fights with the Brawlers (as well as Masquerade and Marduk) to unlock their evolved Bakugan. 

Game # 25 - Mega Man: The Wily Wars - Wily Tower (Genesis) [Completed]

MegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-234155.thumb.png.67a384d61c143e37eea05f265008be78.pngMegaMan-TheWilyWars(USA)(GenesisMini)-240605-234210.thumb.png.e5b501a7127eaa8bc715927e6c32c4ef.png

WIth the main games out of the way, the way to Wily Tower has opened. A new series of stages with three unique bosses (with a Journey to the West theming) as well as access to every single Robot Master Weapon and Support Item from MM1-3. It definitely feels like something that’s perfect to close out beating all three prior games. My main loadout for this run included the Ice Slasher, Magnet Missile, and Time Stopper (it did always bug me how Flash Man has the Time Stopper, but Bright Man is the one with the Flash Stopper)... and yeah I abused the hell out of Thunder Beam and Metal Blade, sue me.  I wish Capcom would do something like this again someday, a new mode or game where you go through a series of new stages and have access to all the Weapons from different games (I’m just imagining the possibilities of a loadout with access to Jewel Satellite, Gravity Hold, Flash Stopper, Flash Grenade, etc). I suppose the closest equivalent would be Mega Man Maker stages but still…

Game #26 - Tower of Heaven (PC) [Completed]

IMG_1283.thumb.jpg.4e43f209c0e19976c84469286586e677.jpgIMG_1285.thumb.jpg.fc0f3bee9b7684ecfede2da71bc51be2.jpg

Was first exposed to this game due to someone using the Rivals of Aether remix of Luna Ascension in a YouTube video, and I liked the song so much I decided to look into its origin. A short bite-sized yet tricky platformer done in a Game Boy-esque style. For this run I completed the game as well as getting both secrets. A lot of my deaths did end up coming from the final level. A bit of a tangent: 

Spoiler

How come the golden blocks still kill you even though the Book of Laws shatter? I get that it’s supposed to add some challenge to the final level, but couldn’t they make them spikes instead?

Anyways, a fun little adventure, I’d like to see an expanded version of this someday.

Current Game Completion List:

Spoiler
  3. Mega Man - Completed
  24. Bakugan Battle Brawlers - Finished
  25. Mega Man: The Wily Wars, Wily Tower - Completed 
  26. Tower of Heaven - Completed 

Games Finished: 26

Games Completed: 20

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Sean was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Got two more Mario sports games done this morning:

#28/52 - Mario Power Tennis (GameCube)

All normal and gimmick tournaments done in singles and doubles mode, no star tournaments or other side content finished.

#29/52 - Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GameCube)

All normal tournaments done, no other side content finished. IDK about Power Tennis but Toadstool Tour is a massive improvement over the original game.

Screenshot 2024-06-06 102758.png

Screenshot 2024-06-06 102917.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Checking in to say that I'm on vacation this week so won't be able to play anything really. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

Checking in to say that my schedule has been wacky, and while I won't say I'm not gonna beat a game this week, I cannot promise anything.

The list so it doesn't get buried.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:28 PM, Agie said:

1. Super Mario RPG Remake

2. Kaze and the Wild Masks

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (100%)

4. Mega Man 1

5. Mega Man 2

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game

7. Twinkle Star Sprites

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (100%)

9. Sunset Riders

10. Mega Man 3

11. Mega Man 4 (sequel wars version)

12. Terminator Salvation (arcade)

13. Roll-Chan 5 (hack of Mega Man 5)

14. Kiki KaiKai

15. Roll-Chan 6 (hack of Mega Man 6)

16. Beeny

17. Roll-Chan World (hack of Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge)

18. Roll-Chan: Mini World (hack of Game Gear Mega Man)

19. Duke Nukem 1

20. Roll-Chan World 2 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man II)

21. Earthworm Jim

22. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 1

23. Duke Nukem II

24. Roll-Chan World 3 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man III)

25. The New Zealand Story

26. Sonic the Hedgehog CD

27. Roll-Chan World 4 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man IV)

28. Momodora

29. Roll-Chan World 5 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man V)

30. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Wily Tower)

31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From the Sewers

32. Mega Man: Powered Up

33. Mega Man 7 Restoration + Refit (100%)

34. Mega Man: The Power Battle

35. Duke Nukem 3D: Total Meltdown

36. The Simpsons Arcade (Konami)

37. Jurassic Park Arcade (Raw Thrills)

38. Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure

39. Mega Man 8

40. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters

41. Mega Man & Bass

42. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger of the Future (100%)

43. Earthworm Jim 2 (100%)

44. Mega Man: Battle & Chase

45. Liquid Kids (100%)

46. Mega Man 9 (100%)

47. Batman (Raw Thrills) (100%)

48. Halo: Fireteam Raven (100%)

49. Hi-Fi Rush

50. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants

51. Mega Man 10 (100%)

52. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sonic Jam version) (100%)

53. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (100%)

54. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge

55. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (Remake) (100%)

56. Sonic Drift (100%)

Honorable Mentions:
Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)

Bomber Panel Panic

Big Challenge:
Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3

Knuckles Challenge:
Sonic 3D in 2D

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Updated doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ENT18rQXcoLnvIuqKfLuxfCcvveb5vO1yL5Cbm0oVNY/edit?usp=drivesdk

So here's a bootleg I just remembered I had lying around. It's Sonic Adventure 7 (GBC)! (Don't ask me how we didn't get SA3, but skipped all the way to the 7th installment)

And like most bootlegs I've played, it's absolute dog shit. The difficulty is crazy hard, to the point where having save states is mandatory, the controls are heavily delayed, and the music doesn't know if it's trying to be chiptune renditions of classic Sonic titles or background noise. To add insult to injury, it has very VERY few levels.

Just don't play this, unless you like suffering. And if you do, please go on therapy.

Games completed: 23

Sonic Adventure 7 (Taiwan) (En) (Unl)-240608-190711.png

Sonic Adventure 7 (Taiwan) (En) (Unl)-240608-190718.png

Edited by WorksOfMagic
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Posted (edited)
Ryannumber1gamer

Gruffin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Weekly Check-In : Bugsnax (Steam)

Finished + 100% Completed

Kinda bug and kinda snack
Try to catch 'em in your trap
Feed somebody and you'll see
We are whatever we eat ♪

I 100%-ed this in 2 days, hah. Something about this game was addictive to me and now I want more.

The premise is pretty simple; You are a journalist who sets out to interview the head of an expedition (named Elizabert Megafig) to Snaktooth Island, the home of half-food half-bug creatures known as bugsnax. However, once you arrive, you find out she has mysteriously disappeared and her companions are all scattered around the island.

You progress by fulfilling requests for each member of the expedition to bring them back to their settlement, usually by catching specific bugsnax for them to eat, with the goal of eventually finding Elizabert and solving the mystery of the island. In doing so, you learn more about them and their motivations for coming on the expedition, as well as what life problems they are attempting to fix through the use of bugsnax.

Oh, and they end up looking like this:

Screenshot2024-06-04142855.thumb.png.794552208c50c513789ccecc4fb86e9d.png

Turns out a side effect of eating bugsnax is they change the consumer's appearance to resemble whatever food item they are! How delightfully cursed.

This is a very silly game with a WTF ending (no, seriously, wtf), but I couldn't help but be invested in the characters by the end. They all have their own cartoonish shticks, but still had that human element to them because how the game shows them working through their own personal struggles. I was surprised how much I liked everyone by the end...Except Wiggle, I guess. The ending is...IT SURE IS SOMETHING. I love how crazy it is but wow what a tone shift.

Screenshot2024-06-03161732.png.a962678bee291efd843a042d3e027c55.png

Snorpy ended up being my favorite of them all. He's simultaneously hilarious and helpful throughout the story, with a heartwarming arc of his own on the side. Oddly enough, he's voiced by none other than Roger Craig Smith, the current voice of Sonic. You will not be able to unhear it once you know even though the voices are quite different.

The highlight of the game was of course catching all 112 bugsnax. It's like a casual sort of puzzle game trying to figure out how to catch each species, as they all have their own behaviors and traits that require different strategies and tools. It was satisfying to collect all of them and fill out my journal throughout the game.

I'd recommend this to collectathon lovers. I've seen a lot of comparisons to Pokemon, but really I'd only maaaaybe compare it to Legends Arceus because of the open zone layout, but even then Bugsnax is first-person. There's no turn-based combat or anything, just setting traps and using your tools to catch bugsnax in the wild. It's great fun!

2064: Read Only Memories (Steam)

100% Completed

Finished this up as well. Going through the final confrontation at the end 3 more times was a bit stressful, but it was worth it in the end to see everything.

Iron ROM wasn't too bad to do; it just took me ~3 hours to skip through, and I had already needed to do a second playthrough to gain access to two of the endings anyway.

And look!

Screenshot2024-06-01185134.thumb.png.9c3582edb9f33da50e4caca69e895e69.png

I changed Turing's appearance for this one :P

I love this game, it's story, it's setting and especially it's characters. It reminds me of the old Humongous Entertainment games that I would play as a kid, but for an older audience. Like if Freddi Fish were a cyberpunk mystery/thriller.

I recommend this to people who grew up with those point and click adventures like I did and are wanting something that's more for teens and up. Ace Attorney fans may also find something to like if they enjoy the investigation sections of those games, as well as the banter between Phoenix and his various sidekicks.

In Progress (0,2)

Spoiler

Finishing

• n/a

100%-ing

• Sonic Adventure DX (Steam, Modded)
  • Sonic Adventure 2 (Steam, Modded)

Completed (5,3)

Spoiler

Finished

• Sonic Adventure DX (Steam, Modded)
  • Kingsway (Steam)
  • 2064: Read Only Memories (Steam)
  • Sonic R (1998 PC, Modded)
  • Bugsnax (Steam)

100%-ed

• Kingsway (Steam)
  • 2064: Read Only Memories (Steam)
  • Bugsnax (Steam)

Edited by Gruffin
fixed typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Sean was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

I'm doing a check-in this week (even though I probably don't have to) for a game I'm playing called Mobile Golf. It's a Japan-only sequel to Mario Golf on the GBC!!

iD7frBW.png

This game is unique in that it used to have online capabilities where people can hook it up with a particular device to participate in tournaments and unlock DLC for extra clubs and playable Mario characters. It also has a handful of extra modes not found in Mario Golf GBC such as mini-golf, which functions similarly to 64's mini-golf mode.

The online mode got shut down in 2002 so there's no legitimate means of obtaining those prizes anymore - but the fan translation patch I'm using enables new unlock methods for said DLC, which mostly involves ranking in tournaments and completing Get Character matches.

Gi5awCu.png

Unlike Mario Golf GBC there's no proper story mode, just a set of tourneys you can enter from the main menu, but all the RPG functionality like level-ups and stat distributions are still there. I'm about halfway through tourney mode and I'll probably just consider the game completed once I finish those, and perhaps leave the side modes for a future time.

6QAoD5x.png

Most important of all, you can play as a gyaru.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
Ryannumber1gamer

Danj86 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Is the Racing Bonus Challenge still going? I assume it gets edited out when the challenge changes, I just never noticed if past ones were still listed when finished. Anyway...

Registered

Spoiler
  1. Fan Game: Sonic The Hedgehog: Triple Trouble 16Bit - Complete

2. The Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown  -  Complete

3. Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series P1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

4. Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series P2 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

5. The Pedestrian - Complete

6. Another Code: Recollection P1 - Another Code: Two Memories

7. Another Code: Recollection P2 - Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories - Complete

8. Touhou: Luna Nights -  Complete

9. Afterimage - Complete

10. Yohane The Parhelion -Blaze in the Deepblue- -  Complete

11. Metroid Dread - Complete

12. Mario vs Donkey Kong (Switch Version) - Complete

13. Metroid Prime Remastered

14. Tevi - Complete

15. Princess Peach Showtime! - Complete

16. The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog - Complete

17. Grim Guardians: Demon Purge - Complete

18. Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons - Complete

19. Gensou Skydrift - Complete

20. Penny's Big Breakaway - Complete

21. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - Complete

22. Pikmin 2 - Complete

23. Pikmin 1 - Complete

24. Fan Game: Sonic 3D in 2D - Complete

25. Bonanza Bros (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis) - Complete

26. Little Kitty, Big City

27. Browser Game -:- Courage The Cowardly Dog Episode 1: Katz Kidnap - Complete

New

28. Browser Game -:- Courage The Cowardly Dog Episode 2: Katz Komeback

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-06-09012517.png.12eb4d349b59c3eafa259cb5eba6a225.png

Honesty? I feel like I could just copy and paste what I wrote for the first Courage game for this one. Same environments, same aesthetics, same gameplay, same powerups. Huh, kinda like how the New Super Mario Bros series felt. Even the whole fighting Katz twice repeats, so that was somewhat disappointing.

29. Browser Game -:- Courage The Cowardly Dog Episode 3: Le Quack Attack

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-06-09021926.png.b3dbbeaec6b2f2f161adc51204662685.png

Well this is much better. Sorta...I mean, the setting is different and it doesn't really manifest in gameplay but does allow this game to have a different look. It also helps that Le Quack is the antagonist this time. Although since this is a snow filled location and all, perhaps it would've made more sense to have the Snowman that talks like Sean Connery be the baddie. It wouldn't have changed much, just the name really since you don't fight Le Quack. He does have dialogue while you travel the rooms but doesn't really say any of his key catchphrases. He doesn't even do his laugh when you first arrived, which would've made sense.

Eh, I'm being too nitpicky obviously. The way the actors deliver the lines plays a major part in why I always chuckle when they say them.

Wait, I'm getting sidetracked, the weapons are new this time around too. Mechanically, they function the same, but having them just be different helps distinguish this game as it's own thing. It's like, my memories of playing Katz Kidnap and Katz Komeback can easily blend together while Le Quack Attack doesn't have that problem. Sadly, the enemies are still repeated from the two previous games. It made sense for Katz to have creepy crawly bugs guarding his kidnapped victims, it doesn't really for Le Quack.

Ah well, Le Quack doesn't really have anything that could be suitable for a henchmen like Katz has so it's whatever. Did I mention that the Weremole also appears as a normal enemy in all three games? It's hard to tell if the devs did this deliberately but Katz Komeback felt easier to complete while Le Quack Attack was harder. I almost died at several points in the latter.

But that's it for this week. I'm still playing through some other longer games and also got some new ones. But talking about those will come later.

Finished: 29

Completed: 24

Edited by Danj86
  • Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to [EVENT] The Sonic Stadium 52 Game Challenge 2024! - New Prizes every week! Current Prize: Sonic Rush profile gift!
Ryannumber1gamer

Covskin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Valiant Hearts - The Great War

A game I've been meaning to replay for a while, my old save data said it had been seven years since I first played it! Where does the time go...

Spoiler

IMG_20240609_101604947_MFNR.thumb.jpg.166e242d0a040690fca12dcc8f9963ea.jpg

Valiant Hearts is a 2D puzzle game set during the First World War. It tells a fictional story but uses real historical batlles and events for the backdrop. And you will learn about those events because every scenario has an accompanying textbook entry. When Valiant Hearts focuses on these aspects, it is excellent. The UbiArt Framework is put to good use laying out the stark horrors of war. Near the end, during the Nivelle Offensive, you will find yourself sheltering from enemy gunfire with piles of dead bodies that used to be your comrades. I'd not heard of this particular battle (I was more familiar with the Somme and Ypres), but the text makes for grim reading.

The puzzle sections aren't bad, but most of them undercut the tone. Lots resort to relying on ordering a dog to retrieve items for you. Combat puzzles needed a villain, so a fictional German Baron was created to be the bad guy when most soldiers of each side are shown to be just average men doing what they can to survive.

I would still recommend the game, and its far better than Namco / Aardman's 11-11 Memories Retold (that game has you bouncing around as a playful cat at one point!). I just found out a sequel was recently released so I'll have to pick that up at some point.

Not 100% Completed as I didn't gather all the collectibles this time. They're more historical tidbits about artefacts from the war, but seeing a drawing of a German helmet isn't the same as a photo.

32 Games finished, of which 21 are Completed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Emperor Robrainiac was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

WEEKLY CHECK-IN: KIRBY'S DREAMLAND: STATUS FINISHED

image.thumb.png.3ed76e1dd61457e5ce1ed9e98ca04ed5.pngimage.thumb.png.7ea12c9c06142211f792583cc68f2dfe.png

image.thumb.png.68135a87b34f203aeb8e1a6b1c1c6e41.png

Was out on vacation this week, so I had to find a game to play in a pinch before the deadline was up. I figure why not revisit Kirby's Dreamland, The first entry in the Kirby Series?

When I played Super Mario Land, I mentioned how the gameboy games just have this unique feeling to it that can't be replicated by the console games or even modern games... But what's unique about Kirbys' Dreamland is that this was the first game in the Kirby series, and there's plenty of elements that was carried over into the modern games.

For example, while Kirby does not have his signature copy ability here, he instead gains powerups that only last for a little bit. Two of them in particular, the spicy curry and the microphone would eventually appear in future Kirby games as the Fire and Mic abilities respectively. You'll see plenty of familiar enemies, locations, and bosses in this game that would go on to appear in future entries in the series.

While this game was slightly remade in Kirby's Super Star as Spring Breeze, there are tons of differences between these two games that make them different from one another. For example:

- The lack of abilities. You rely on inhaling and spitting enemies back at them, and finding power ups that give you an ability for a short while.

- An entire world, Castle Lololo was left out of Spring Breeze. It is a castle themed level where you fight Lololo and Lalala, a boss duo who pushes boxes around to hit you.

-An entire boss was left out of Spring Breeze as well, Kablooa, a blimp with a cannon attatched to it. This fight is pretty fun as you consume a mint leaf, which causes kirby to fly and blast an infinite amount of air puffs from his mouth, making a sort of "shoot em up" style boss.

-Dedede's castle in Spring Breeze is incrediblly brief, as you just enter a door and fight dedede. This game takes a more "Megaman" style approach where you face off against the bosses once again before facing off with the king himself.

A very short game, very simple, maybe even dated by modern Kirby standards. But in the end, it's fun to play and see the beginnings of a major franchise for Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

TitansCreed was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Season 2 Hello GIF by Friends

Greetings to all my most amazing friends. It has been a week of game announcements and updates. I hope someone has found at least something out of everything to be excited for.

image.thumb.png.51471ccaab29f51086cdb7569e04db42.png

Weekly update in Solo Leveling Arise. Done more leveling, inching close to 70 and cleared a bunch of story, but just lacking that extra oomph to make some milestones right now. We'll see where we are next week...

We FINALLY beat the last boss of Frenzy Adventure. By far the most fun boss to do. We do need to now get the Chaos Emeralds however to go for completion. So, that's on the docket to do now...

We're still going in Penny's Big Breakaway. While we are slowly making progress through the game, each level brings more fun and variety.

And we've started another Sonic fangame in Sonic the Hedgehog Classic. I've been really enjoying the Special Stages in this one, as they feel more like puzzles than anything else. It's just generally a lot of fun.

image.thumb.png.2a1783c8502f595a6aa89dbbd36dfd94.png

Finally, brings us onto another achievement hunt on Steam. I finally managed to get parsec to work to get the Tails achievement and finally clear the last achievement needed.
image.png.55fd2ec679400683e1a8474ba1b6e79d.png

It's dumb, and outside of the "all rings on Special Stage 1" sits among my most annoying achievement.

TLDR/SUMMARY:
Completed: Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2
Finished: Sonic Frenzy Adventure
Playing: Sonic the Hedgehog Classic, Penny's Big Breakaway.

Tune In Next Time GIF by A Black Lady Sketch Show

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

TheKarmaCollector1994 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Games Finished/Completed So Far:

1. PowerWash Simulator (XBOX One) - Finished 25/02/24
  2. Unpacking (XBOX One) - Finished 07/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements Unlocked)
  3. Tecmo Bowl (NES (Switch Online)) - Finished 09/03/24 - 100% Complete
  4. Sonic the Fighters (XBOX 360) - Finished 10/03/24
  5. Super Mario Bros. (Super Mario All-Stars Version) (SNES (Switch Online)) - Finished 21/03/24 - 100% Complete (Star Worlds Included)
  6. Donut County (XBOX One) - Finished 24/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements Unlocked)
  7. Open Roads (XBOX One) - Finished 31/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements Unlocked)
  8. Kirby’s Dream Land (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 13/04/24 - 100% Complete (Bonus Game Completed)
  9. Sonic Spinball (SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis (Switch Online)) - Finished 14/04/24 - 100% Complete
  10. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario All-Stars Version) (SNES (Switch Online)) - Finished 28/04/24 - 100% Complete
  11. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 30/04/24 - 100% Complete (Bonus Levels Unlocked & Completed)
  12. Super Mario Land (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 18/05/24 - 100% Complete
  13. WarioWare Inc. - Mega MicroGames (Game Boy Advance (Switch Online)) - Finished 19/05/24 - 100% Complete (All Games Played Through)
  14. The Day of the Tentacle Remastered (XBOX One) - Finished 21/05/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements Unlocked)
  15. Alleyway (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 23/05/24 - 100% Complete
  16. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Arcade Game (Arcade) (TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection) (XBOX One) - Finished 29/05/24 - 100% Complete
  17. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles In Time (Arcade) (TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection) (XBOX One) - Finished 02/06/24 - 100% Complete
  18. Sonic Drift (SEGA Game Gear) (Sonic Origins Plus) (XBOX One) - Finished 02/06/24 - 100% Complete (BONUS RACING CHALLENGE)

Hey Guys!

Time to update everyone on my progress again. Whilst this week I managed to make some more progress in a few games, I unfortunately haven’t been able to add that many more titles to the finished/completed list. With regards to the progress made over the last week, I am still trying to work my way through LEGO Indiana Jones to gain the last few hidden artefacts, but I haven’t made that much more progress in SA1 since I finished Amy’s story, and I still need to complete a few of Gamma’s stages and gain a few more emblems before I can go into the last story. Unfortunately, IRL stuff got in the way of me of being able to add more games than I would have liked for this week, but I did manage to get a couple of space shooters in there, so let’s check them out:

Game 19: Gradius (NES (Switch Online)) - Finished 07/06/24 - 100% Complete

IMG_9232.thumb.jpeg.b164893af1e8dcbd2628884e3573c7d8.jpeg

Having seen a few of the other forum users posting their completions of this particular game, I thought that I would give Gradius a try, and I actually found it to be rather enjoyable in a few places. You take control of the Vic Viper, a spaceship that you must pilot as you are tasked with saving the distant planet of Gradius from evil invading forces known as the Bacterion. Over seven stages, you will need to shoot down various types of alien spacecraft, various monsters, and evade their bullets and trying not to crash into the walls (like I did, often…). Along the way, you’ll also pick up various upgrades that you can activate by pressing the B button, and the best bit is that you get to keep them for as long as you don’t get hit by a stray bullet or laser (or crash!) and end up losing a life. And you’ll be needing them too because this is one very, VERY difficult game. There are times when you may find it easier to shoot enemies down if you recognise the patterns in how they fly from one end of the screen to the other, but more often than not you will just need to keep moving the Vic Viper to a position where you can avoid getting killed (or if all else fails, use the Rewind function like I did - I had to keep using it to try and rectify the mistakes that I made when I failed to avoid certain enemies), but even then, you’ll find that the difficulty can spike on certain levels, especially in worlds four, five and six, since they don’t give you that much room to move about.

IMG_9233.thumb.jpeg.118daa73c3052b48ff6ab68cc5f747ce.jpeg

Nevertheless, if you’re looking for a space-based side-scrolling shooter that is both fun to play and provides a challenge that you feel that you can handle, then definitely give this a try at some point. I played through the game twice, and whilst the second playthrough increases the difficulty level, if you are skilled enough to be able to get through the levels without too much hardship, you should be just fine. In fact, Gradius actually inspired me to give another space themed shooter a try…

Game 20: Super R-Type (SNES (Switch Online)) - Finished 09/06/24

IMG_9235.thumb.jpeg.923155c30deac00e0599fdeb3a00243f.jpeg

Seems like I’ve been on a bit of a “shooting bad guys with lasers” mode lately for this last week or so. (Side note, I have a couple of other games that are shooters lined up for this challenge, but I’m not ready to talk about those yet as they are unfinished.) Whilst there are many similar themes feature within Super R-Type when compared with Gradius, such as taking control of a spaceship (the R-9, in this case) to take down an invading force of evil aliens (the BYDO empire), collecting upgrades to boost your weaponry, the difficulty spikes, etc., this particular game works somewhat differently in that you have a main weapon in the charge beam, which you can power up through pressing and holding the B button (the longer you charge the beam, the more powerful the shot), whilst bonus weapons can be unlocked through collecting upgrades, or by attaching an orb to your spaceship to provide extra firepower and a defence to your craft. (You can also use it as a projectile by pressing A, but you can also reattach it to either side of your ship.) Despite being able to finish the full set of seven stages, and take out each of the boss battles at the end of each of them, I actually found this game to be even harder than Gradius, owing to the insane amount of enemies that would end up on the screen at any one time, not to mention that it was sometimes extremely difficult to avoid ending up getting hit by a bullet fired from another enemy ship shortly after destroying others. This was, again, where the rewind function of Switch Online came in handy, since it helped me to retrace my steps and try to be a bit more careful to avoid exploding when shooting at the evil alien scum. Nonetheless, I was satisfied that I was able to get through all seven of the levels, and successfully defeated each of the boss battles at the end of each stage, which actually feel a lot more fleshed out than those in Gradius, even if, just like the rest of this game, they are incredibly hard. In short, if you are willing to play through this game, be prepared to experience a real challenge at times.

IMG_9236.thumb.jpeg.a7c1e4ff4d7b4fb2d5a41dbb7f4bdf56.jpeg

Unfortunately, despite finishing this game on both easy and normal difficulties, I haven’t been able to progress through the hard difficulty setting, and completing that unlocks the far harder “pro” difficulty setting, which you must complete in order to view the true ending and the credits to this game. As a result, I do not think that this would count as a completed game, but since you would just be playing through the same levels as you previously had, albeit on a higher difficulty setting, I would suggest that I have finished this game. However, I will leave that to the moderators to make up their minds. For now though, I will only add it to the list as a finished game, as given how difficult it was, I am not sure if I would play through this game again on the highest difficulty.

In any case, that is all from me for now. See you again in the next update!

Games Finished: 20

Games 100% Completed: 18

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick question, BTW, just wanted to ask the moderators, if you said that you had finished a game, but you later go on to complete it 100%, are you able to get it changed to 100% complete if it’s already been added to the list, or would it be too late to change it?

15 minutes ago, TheKarmaCollector1994 said:

Quick question, BTW, just wanted to ask the moderators, if you said that you had finished a game, but you later go on to complete it 100%, are you able to get it changed to 100% complete if it’s already been added to the list, or would it be too late to change it?

Yes, you can update a entry later, as long as you provide evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Yes, you can update a entry later, as long as you provide evidence.

Thanks for the information!

Ryannumber1gamer

Gavvie was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Another check-in week with no completed games - I blame Disney Dreamlight Valley as I spent a lot of time trying to finish its most recent Star Path, which I finally did on Friday.

I have played other games though - progress on Dark Souls III Little Kitty, Big City has been made so I'm doing alright with those. Just need to pick the pace up as we're almost at the halfway point of the year and I'm not at 26 games finished yet!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Lady Marie was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Weekly Check-In:

Not much of an update this week. Mostly just going through the Fortnite BP however I can. I finished up the Festival Pass, which got me some more levels. Now I'm doing some of the idle exploits to progress faster. Hopefully once I start getting in some play sessions with friends and the Magneto quests get unlocked, I'll be able to get the pass finished quicker than I did last season.

I picked up FFVII Rebirth again as well. Decided not to worry about getting all the prizes for the minigames in Costa Del Sol too much since I should be able to circle back at some point. I mostly just wanted to keep moving with the story... and save myself from getting carpal tunnel trying to get the highest score in the shooting range minigame. 

Had another session of Baldur's Gate 3 with my sister this week, though I didn't get any trophies from it this time. Still had a lot of fun with it. It's interesting to discuss the differences between how me and her play and the different things we've found in our own playthroughs. Given that she's played through the game about four more times than I have, I figured she would've seen it all. But I was able to show her a strategy for one of the boss fights that she'd never thought of and a different outcome for an area she'd only seen once. I'm looking to continue my individual playthrough here soon once I've double checked I haven't missed anything in the current act. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else will happen.

Midnight Suns and Crypt of the NecroDancer are gonna stay shelved for a bit. I'm visiting family this week and won't have much time to play games. But I might try out some mobile games in the meantime when I need to kill some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Winston was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

I was originally not gonna get any games done, but I did manage to sneak one in real quick today. Nintendo added some GameBoy games to Switch online the other day, so I figured I'd give one a go, and it was a pretty easy game to get completed. 

GAME #33 - Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge - Completed 

spacer.png

I actually own this game on my 3DS, and was considering doing a playthrough on there eventually, but since it's on NSO now, there's really no reason to. It's pretty handy, I enjoy the amount of saves states, plus it has rewind unlike the 3DS version. I do enjoy the Switch emulation system, even if I wish it wasn't as limited as it is when it comes to games. At least here, we got like five games in one with this update. I wish it'd like, add a couple games a month to each service instead of just being random which consoles get games like every month (or couple months?). It's honestly hard to remember, but this isn't really a rating of the Switch Online service, but I do like the emulation of these games and the many different options.

Onto the game itself though, the story here is pretty much nonexistent from what I can tell. I'm sure it's in the manual, but unless like waiting on the title screen starts a story, I really don't recall what is going on here. I looked it up on Wikipedia, and there is a story. So I assume it must be purely in the manual only. It takes the Robot Masters from 1, but adds in new level design, and then also adds in like a new villain that like shows up right before Wily that isn't too hard. There's also Robot Masters from 2 as well, funnily enough.

I guess that's spoilers, but do people really care for such an old game? Instead of the boss repeats, you fight the Mega Man 2 Robot Masters in Wily Castle instead of the bosses you played to get there. Honestly, an interesting decision, even if I could get why some would get frustrated by it. I like it in terms of variety, but I don't like it in terms of it being annoying. None of the robot masters from the original seem to weaken any of the robot masters from 2, which maybe makes senses, but is also annoying in terms of this being a gauntlet. It's fine if you finally defeat one of the robot masters and just go in that order, but the first one you have to defeat is always annoying for that reason. I guess it's more of a challenge, but in terms of how the hitboxes and controls in this game work, it's a bit hit or miss for me. 

I do like the variety of powers that including the 2 Robot Masters gives you, but at that point, the game is pretty much already over so there isn't really much of an incentive to use them much. I think Wily is weak to Heat Man's weapon, and his second phase is weak to Enker's mirror thing, at least that's what I recall his name being. But the other two don't serve much as a purpose outside of defeating those in the gauntlet. A neat addition, but a little worthless in the end since you don't really get to play much of the games with the abilities and they aren't really worth anything outside of 2, unless you just wanna have fun in the final level segment before getting to Wily.

The controls here are fine enough. I wouldn't say it's as bad as Mario Land 1, because Mega Man controls fine enough and his pellets shoot close enough to the NES version. I do think the hitboxes are a little weird though, I feel like sometimes I get hit by something when I really shouldn't have. It's also really hard to tell where an enemy with a projectile is going to throw his stuff. It just gets grating. I also think some of the timing in this game is a little quick for a game on weaker hardware, making it frustrating to time platforms or how to dodge enemies exactly. The slowdown isn't the best here, and there's the bird enemy in particular who is spammed quite a bit towards the end of the game and when their egg cracks, there's a lot of little birds that spawn out and basically slow the game to a crawl. No idea why they decided to keep that in when it's basically impossible to shoot or move past them because of the lag.

There's also those hopping enemies, which from what I remember in the older games, you need to shoot in the eye, but here it's like some weird part in the middle that doesn't always land, it's better to just skip them. I also think that the slowness to the game makes an enemy like Sniper Joe more annoying, as it feels like you have less timing to get it right, and they like to spam those guys a lot so it's basically nowhere near as fluid as the originals. I got a bit better as the game went on, but nonetheless, still it was annoying to have so many enemies that just halted your time here like this. 

So do I recommend this game? Kinda. I wouldn't play it on original hardware, but on Switch, yeah it's fine enough. It gets frustrating and is never exactly the most fun you can have with a Mega Man game, but it's short and has some fun things here and there, on top of some enemy reuse that is a little interesting to see when combining Robot Masters from 1 and 2. I wonder how the other GB games stand-up here, and what they do different. I'll probably get around to them in a busy week like this one I had, but yeah. It's an okay game, but nothing that I'd say is worth playing too much.

So yeah, that's my update! Thanks for reading! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Fireluigi1225 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Its been a bit so i have a weirdo to make up for lost time.

100%: Cut the Rope

Spoiler

image-24.png.305be896b600e9ff1a3933e59e3377d8.png

image-26.thumb.png.ace2b50b4608b756ac8bd2c7dfe8d35b.png

image-25.thumb.png.bc95249cec0da727ebd39684087ebe38.png

image-19.thumb.png.44e9dbdb5dbd1b3ec5bd0b6320bb3747.png

Thank you youtube playables.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Sean was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

#30/52 - Mobile Golf (Game Boy Color)

Finished all tournaments, aside from the ones that were DLC (yes, DLC in a GBC game lol). Unlocked some of the characters but I didn't do much other side stuff.

It's a really neat Japan-only follow-up to Mario Golf GBC, and anyone who enjoyed that or the GBA game owe it to themselves to look into playing this. It also seems to be considerably more difficult, had to cheat my way through that last tourney more than usual due to the excessive traps and low score requirements.

The only real thing that knocks it down compared to the other handheld entries is a lack of connectivity to a home console title. Part of the appeal of these games is being able to transfer your character to the N64 or GC versions and participate in tourneys, so it's a shame to have these characters permanently locked to the GBC.

Mobile Golf (EN 1.2b)-0.png

Mobile Golf (EN 1.2b)-1.png

• Thumbs Up 1