Awoo.

[EVENT] The Sonic Stadium 52 Game Challenge 2024! - New Prizes every week! Current Prize: Sonic and the Secret Rings profile gift AND Sonic's Birthday Bash challenge for additional prizes!

Ryannumber1gamer

Not sure if entries for the Bonus Racing Contest are still being accepted, but hey even if not, here’s still a game for the overall challenge. 

Game #20 - Sonic Drift (Game Gear) [Completed]

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.c70e5b7721b0d8650357646f9d2adbde.jpegThis certainly was a racing game. The kart racer of all time. Quick game overall, and pretty mid but for something on the Game Gear, this prolly is the best that could’ve been done. 

Completion List 

Spoiler
  1. Fortnite Chapter 5 Season 1 - Finished
  2. Pokemon Violet - Finished
  3. Mega Man - Completed
  4. Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Asche - Completed
  5. Dragon Ball Z V.R.V.S. - Completed
  6. Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 - Finished
  7. Mega Man: The Power Battles - Completed
  8. Sonic the Fighters - Completed 
  9. Street Fighter X Mega Man - Completed 
  10. Smash Remix - Completed 
  11. Sonic Colors Ultimate - Finished 
  12. Street Fighter Alpha - Completed 
  13. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Completed 
  14. Sonic Superstars - Finished
  15. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes - Completed 
  16. Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes - Completed
  17. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Completed 
  18. X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Completed 
  19. Marvel Super Heroes - Completed 
  20. Sonic Drift - Completed

Bonus Challenge - Big the Cat April Fool’s Takeover: Sonic Adventure 

Bonus Challenge - Knuckles Week: Sonic the Fighters 

Bonus Challenge - Racing Challenge: Sonic Drift

Games Finished: 20

Games Completed: 15

Ryannumber1gamer
This post was recognized by Ryannumber1gamer!

TitansCreed was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Bill And Ted Greetings GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

It's that time of the week for some round ups of games played. First up as always as we continue our journey through Solo Leveling Arise.
image.thumb.png.af0c7309ff517b5a82363646a8f1ff9c.png

I like posting the progress week to week, as it's a good reminder of progress. The leveling is hella slow now, but there's still a bunch of content I CAN clear for content. It's just finding time around work, YT and other achievement hunting.

SPEAKING OF...
image.thumb.png.0b268389227770c6cb587c5044149941.png

Since the goal was to finish a racing game, and I've had a few of the non-online stuff left to clear up for the longest time, I thought for this week I'd finish off SASRT.

image.png.870a7b45dcb366d1a5579e8d499a7aa4.png

Some of these were HARD, but it's finally done, and another "Sonic" game off my list. I was gonna tackle the first ASR, but there doesn't seem to be achievements on Steam?

Anyway, we also managed another Sonic game 100%'d this week...
image.thumb.png.35365fec8b9cc3bf57c59dc2c549b126.png

Like Sonic Forces, this has been on my todo list for the longest time. My dislike for the Adventure games aside, was mostly cathartic to see all the cheevs get done...

image.png.7f74d58ed9c0846fc9153df16f17c76b.png

Otherwise, we've been playing the usual suspects over on YouTube this week.

PBB sits in a weird place for me, I like it aesthetically, but I just seem to be absolutely terrible at 3D Platforming recently.

After Sonic Ultra Saturn last week we've been back onto Frenzy Adventure, and we've made some decent progress, even if one boss kept me shut out for over a week.

While last week, I said in the video that I'd be giving Speed Sim a break on YT until new levels since we caught up on all available content... they went and dropped a new/old world. So... we covered it and unlocked the new/old additions (thanks for the guide @Ryannumber1gamer).

And that's about it, other than Pokemon Sleep and Dokkan Battle (theres another WT coming, I can smell it), it's more of the same. Although, I feel we're nearly done with Frenzy Adventure. Will be nice to flex on something new soon.

TLDR:
Completed: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

Playing: Sonic Frenzy Adventure, Penny's Big Breakaway.

Fast And Furious Until Next Time GIF by The Fast Saga

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bortificatin said:

Not sure if entries for the Bonus Racing Contest are still being accepted, but hey even if not, here’s still a game for the overall challenge. 

Game #20 - Sonic Drift (Game Gear) [Completed]

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.c70e5b7721b0d8650357646f9d2adbde.jpegThis certainly was a racing game. The kart racer of all time. Quick game overall, and pretty mid but for something on the Game Gear, this prolly is the best that could’ve been done. 

Completion List 

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Fortnite Chapter 5 Season 1 - Finished
  2. Pokemon Violet - Finished
  3. Mega Man - Completed
  4. Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Asche - Completed
  5. Dragon Ball Z V.R.V.S. - Completed
  6. Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 - Finished
  7. Mega Man: The Power Battles - Completed
  8. Sonic the Fighters - Completed 
  9. Street Fighter X Mega Man - Completed 
  10. Smash Remix - Completed 
  11. Sonic Colors Ultimate - Finished 
  12. Street Fighter Alpha - Completed 
  13. Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Completed 
  14. Sonic Superstars - Finished
  15. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes - Completed 
  16. Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes - Completed
  17. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Completed 
  18. X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Completed 
  19. Marvel Super Heroes - Completed 
  20. Sonic Drift - Completed

Bonus Challenge - Big the Cat April Fool’s Takeover: Sonic Adventure 

Bonus Challenge - Knuckles Week: Sonic the Fighters 

Bonus Challenge - Racing Challenge: Sonic Drift

Games Finished: 20

Games Completed: 15

Racing challenge entries are being accepted until 9pm BST/4pm EST tomorrow, so you're all good.

• Thumbs Up 1

So for my weekly check-in, while I haven't completed any games, I have made some decent progress on Sonic Mania Plus, along with a game I think neither you nor admittedly I was expecting to play. Tune in sometime next week when I cover that and (hopefully) Mania.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

TheKarmaCollector1994 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Games Finished/Completed List:

1. PowerWash Simulator (XBOX One) - Finished 25/02/24
  2. Unpacking (XBOX One) - Finished 07/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements Unlocked)
  3. Tecmo Bowl (NES (Switch Online)) - Finished 09/03/24 - 100% Complete
  4. Sonic the Fighters (XBOX 360) - Finished 10/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements Unlocked)
  5. Super Mario Bros. (Super Mario All-Stars Version) (SNES (Switch Online)) - Finished 21/03/24 - 100% Complete (Star Worlds Included)
  6. Donut County (XBOX One) - Finished 24/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements)
  7. Open Roads (XBOX One) - Finished 31/03/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements)
  8. Kirby’s Dream Land (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 13/04/24 - 100% Complete (Extra Game Completed)
  9. Sonic Spinball (SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis (Switch Online)) - Finished 14/04/24 - 100% Completed
  10. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario All-Stars Version) (SNES (Switch Online)) - Finished 28/04/24 - 100% Complete
  11. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 30/04/24 - 100% Complete (Bonus Levels Unlocked and Completed)
  12. Super Mario Land (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 18/05/24 - 100% Complete
  13. WarioWare Inc. - Mega MicroGames (Game Boy Advance (Switch Online)) - Finished 19/05/24 - 100% Complete (All Games Played Through)
  14. The Day of the Tentacle Remastered (XBOX One) - Finished 21/05/24 - 100% Complete (All Achievements)
  15. Alleyway (Game Boy (Switch Online)) - Finished 23/05/24 - 100% Complete

Hey Guys!

It’s that time again for me to give you an update on my progress in the 52 game challenge and update you on any new additions to the list. First off, a progress update: whilst I haven’t managed to complete the LEGO Indiana Jones playthrough yet, I am still very close to getting it finished - just those last few artefacts need to be found. I have also managed to complete Amy’s story in SA1, and Gamma’s story is close to being finished too, whilst I have also been able to grab some more emblems for Sonic and Tails, and I now have all the emblems for Big the Cat as well. Furthermore, I have returned to my Super Mario 64 run, and have made quite significant progress in beating the second Bowser boss battle, and obtaining almost all the stars in three of the levels (Dry, Dry Docks, Snowman’s Land and Wet-Dry World), so I am getting ever closer to gaining all 120 stars for the completion. Aside from that, I haven’t added many more games to the finished/completed list, except for three - so let’s check them out, shall we?

Game 16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) (TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection) (XBOX One) - Finished 29/05/24 - 100% Completed

IMG_8723.thumb.jpeg.a9e695f8de58d39091932c10a0060fad.jpeg

COWABUNGA!

When the evil Shredder attacks April O’Neil’s apartment and sets it on fire, it’s up to everyone’s favourite crime-fighting reptiles (sorry, Vector and Espio) to save the ravishing roving reporter from the evil forces of the Foot Clan!

As a massive TMNT fan, it felt good to get the opportunity to play one of the most iconic arcade games of all time, and whilst I unfortunately don’t own the Arcade 1UP cabinet of this particular game (or an actual arcade cabinet for any game, for that matter), I was able to play this awesome beat-em-up through the Cowabunga Collection that was released a few years back. Digital Eclipse are some of the masters when it comes to emulating old games, and their emulation of the arcade classic is absolutely brilliant, but trust me when I say it, if you aren’t familiar with the original TMNT arcade game, you’ll probably need to hold on to your butt (and the controls) - it can be very difficult at times.

Nevertheless, you can take control of your favourite turtle out of the awesome foursome, (I played as Leonardo on this occasion), and use their attacks and their various weapons to take out various hordes of enemies, from fetid Foot Soldiers, to Mousers and killer robots. Then at the end of each level, you’ll need to use all your ninjutsu skills to defeat the various iconic villains, such as Bebop, Rocksteady, Baxter Stockman, and many more, eventually making your way to the Technodrome for a final showdown with Krang, and Shredder (and his clone), the final boss. (His anti-mutant ray attack is an insta-kill, BTW, so be careful or you might end up being more frustrated!)

IMG_9091.thumb.jpeg.aae763f89020d3bb7a0c39e11719c42f.jpeg

IMG_9092.thumb.jpeg.ceefdb24e04af997bf03c864329ca659.jpeg

Overall, for someone who hadn’t previously had the opportunity to play the original arcade game before, I believe that this game has helped to peak my interest in trying out other beat-em-up style games, and I was impressed with how much it felt like you were playing the game as if you were watching an episode of the original TMNT cartoon series from the late 80’s/early 90’s. If you’re looking to experience one of the best arcade games of all time in a home setting, I would definitely recommend that you seek out a copy of the Cowabunga Collection at some point if you don’t have one already - trust me, you will be in for a real treat that will be worth spending your money on. (Side note: this was my third attempt to complete the game - I had tried to complete it last week to coincide with World Turtle Day (of course), but it got abandoned as I was finding it hard to work out the controls, but I eventually figured it out, and I was able to complete the game the whole way through.)

IMG_9094.thumb.jpeg.5f672e805d3d65b0ad310fa03ee2b8f2.jpeg

IMG_9095.thumb.jpeg.a4f796c3fb3c53e0fe8a5b862e0d5d77.jpeg

But hey, why settle for just one slice of the pizza pie (sorry)…

Game 17: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time (Arcade) (TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection) (XBOX One) - Finished 02/06/24 - 100% Completed

IMG_9109.thumb.jpeg.47d1bca1cee5c3daa2e7cb2c6a272c21.jpeg

…when you can take advantage of our 2-for-1 giveaway meal deal! (Sorry, again. - I ordered a takeaway pizza for me and my parents this week, hence the pizza puns.)

Just when the Turtles think that they can rest soundly in their shells, Shredder ends up stealing the Statue of Liberty from New York on live TV - which leads to the four main protagonists to embark on a time-travelling adventure to stop the Foot Clan before the space-time connections go all out of whack!

The gameplay is pretty much similar to the original arcade game, although this time around there are more stages to complete, with plenty more enemies to kick the shell out of, plus more bosses to deal with, such as Leatherhead, Tokka and Rahzar from the second live-action movie, and upgraded versions of Krang and Super Shredder, all of whom have even more powerful attacks designed to make you lose more lives.

IMG_9111.thumb.jpeg.d041fff23d444fab73550d3030cfc773.jpegIMG_9113.thumb.jpeg.f8e3aa5e50fbb3f8d99990ace10f3a76.jpeg

I chose to play as Michelangelo this time around (my favourite of the turtles, in case you were curious), not just because he has many close quarter attacks that he can use to deal with the various Foot soldiers, but his special attacks (activated with the Y button) can be used either to hit enemies that are further away, or involve him spinning his nunchucks together to get multiple hits off of targets.

Furthermore, in addition to the pizza boxes that you can pick up to restore your health, keep an eye out for the special boxes with a bomb on the lid, as you can pick these up to begin a special attack that you can use to take care of multiple enemies at once, which can come in handy when there are quite a lot of bad guys on the screen at the same time.

IMG_9114.thumb.jpeg.c796dea766cb4ead9784f3b9c5f4b856.jpeg

Watch that last step, Shredder!

Once again, this particular conversion of another arcade classic is further proof as to why you should have a chance to look for a physical copy of the Cowabunga Collection and to give it a try if it’s not already in your game library. Sadly, it seems that Konami, as the empty hollow husk of a game company that they once were, may unfortunately be about to delist this particular collection, which is a real shame, as if you are a TMNT fan, or just enjoy playing their games and want to relive the memories, I cannot recommend this particular compilation highly enough. Both the original arcade game and Turtles In Time were fun experiences for me, and they are ones that I would hope to revisit again in the future.

IMG_9116.thumb.jpeg.40ed7799e15ef883cf08e4a7c3d04260.jpeg

Game 18: Sonic Drift (SEGA Game Gear) (Sonic Origins Plus) (XBOX One) - Finished 02/06/24 - 100% Complete

IMG_9117.thumb.jpeg.7552235d1c9c990bf89dcaf5207dc779.jpeg

At the last minute, I came to the realisation that the racing challenge that was set involved actually finishing/completing a racing game, rather than just putting up a screenshot of a title that you were playing through. Until I found this out, I had planned to put up a screen shot of Team Sonic Racing, but when I realised that you actually had to complete a game, I had to fall back on an alternative. And given that Sonic Drift was the game that was being advertised for the racing challenge, I figured that I would give it a try, especially since other forum members have been completing this particular game, the first one to feature the Blue Blur in a proper racing game.

And so, I opened up Sonic Origins Plus on my XBOX One to try it out, thinking it would be a doddle, right? Well, no. Even though I managed to play through the various Grand Prix races, and eventually wasted my weekend trying to get first place in each of the three GP’s - I have to say that I found the whole experience frustrating, as I could not get used to timing myself with accelerating and breaking at the right times in order to make it round the turns. Not to mention that I found the collision detection to be rather iffy at points, meaning that I would sometimes hit an obstacle when I wasn’t anywhere near it. Nonetheless, I did persevere to try and get first place in all the races, and whilst I didn’t manage to get the wins all the time, I would keep playing through the races over and over again to try and make sure the 1st places were in the bag.

Ultimately, I did manage to complete all three of the Grand Prix as Sonic, but at that point, I had got so frustrated with the problems that I had with this particular game that I decided not to bother with going through the process of playing through all the races again as the other characters (Tails, Amy and Eggman), but the races were just the same no matter which racer I chose, so I believe that I have finished the game, probably 100% completed as there isn’t really any difference to any rewards you get for completing the full game aside from the ending screen depending on which character you played as.

IMG_9118.gif.b40dae61f56a3a9f1e633d875a9cd03e.gif

At the end of the day, whilst I did end up finishing/completing Sonic Drift, I believe that it may have been better for me to try playing through a different racing game in an attempt to get a better chance of finishing it, but due to my confusion over the rules relating to the challenge, and the lack of time that I had to find playing games overall this week, aside from those that I previously mentioned, it meant that I had to sort out my time playing through this game at short notice. Ultimately, I don’t think I will be returning to this game, nor will I try to play through the sequel any time soon. But I needed to make sure that the racing challenge was completed so that I didn’t miss out, so… yeah. Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That’ll be all from me for now. See you in the next update.

Games Finished: 18

Games 100% Completed: 17

BONUS RACING CHALLENGE BONUS: Complete

P.S. Happy Pride Month everyone!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Gavvie was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

You know, I almost panicked that I'd missed a week because I couldn't remember posting last week, but then I remembered that I'd finished Fable III and all was good.

ANYWAY! Quick update this week to say that I haven't finished anything as I've been trying to get through the latest Disney Dreamlight Valley Star Path, although I have also made progress on Dark Souls IIIWarhammer 40,000: Boltgun Little Kitty, Big City - two of those I should get done relatively quickly once I put more time into them.

• Thumbs Up 1

No. You can replay it for this challenge as a check-in but stuff for the 52 week events need to be games that you played in 2024.

@Tornado Thanks. What about if I started it in 2023 but finished it in 2024. Just thinking of omens. Would that work?

Posted (edited)
Ryannumber1gamer

Danj86 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Registered Games

Spoiler
  1. Fan Game: Sonic The Hedgehog: Triple Trouble 16Bit - Complete

2. The Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown  -  Complete

3. Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series P1 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile

4. Klonoa: Phantasy Reverie Series P2 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil

5. The Pedestrian - Complete

6. Another Code: Recollection P1 - Another Code: Two Memories

7. Another Code: Recollection P2 - Another Code: R - A Journey into Lost Memories - Complete

8. Touhou: Luna Nights -  Complete

9. Afterimage - Complete

10. Yohane The Parhelion -Blaze in the Deepblue- -  Complete

11. Metroid Dread - Complete

12. Mario vs Donkey Kong (Switch Version) - Complete

13. Metroid Prime Remastered

14. Tevi - Complete

15. Princess Peach Showtime! - Complete

16. The Murder of Sonic The Hedgehog - Complete

17. Grim Guardians: Demon Purge - Complete

18. Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons - Complete

19. Gensou Skydrift - Complete

20. Penny's Big Breakaway - Complete

21. Pikmin 3 Deluxe - Complete

22. Pikmin 2 - Complete

23. Pikmin 1 - Complete

24. Fan Game: Sonic 3D in 2D - Complete

25. Bonanza Bros (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis) - Complete

26. Little Kitty, Big City

Bonus Challenge -:- Complete a Racing Game

Racer.thumb.png.bb8eeb19ed77b26e9c634938e28178f6.png

The best I could do for the challenge was complete 50 cc, getting a Gold Cup in all four Grand Prix in Mario Kart 64. It can't be added to my main list since I have more to do, but from I understand, this was enough for the challenge.

New Additions

27. Browser Game -:- Courage The Cowardly Dog Episode 1: Katz Kidnap

I have had my mind opened to the magic and nostalgic inducing nature of Browser Games through@Ryannumber1gamer

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-05-27230141.png.0c36bcd74fae819e49df2773ed6d074c.png

As the title suggests, this is part of a trio. They are available to play, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. So the closest I could compare this Courage game is something like The Legend of Zelda in it's top down format. Locked doors, key items that help traversal, having to find the actual map in game. They are some differences too.

Katz being the antagonist in this one, you actually face him around the halfway point. It was like a training segment since you only had to hit him 3 times. Then in the final refight, that number is doubled. That score you see on the top left is also important. You are required to find treasures by searching objects in rooms and plundering the loot. A door that leads to Eustace and Muriel will not open if you didn't gather enough points. I don't know the minimum amount since I tend to be an explorer when playing games, so finding a lot of treasure was natural to me.

Enemies are also a thing in this game. You pretty much have to avoid them when you first start, but will eventually find an item that can stun them. A neat find but still not ideal, but don't worry because you'll eventually find a baseball bat. Smashing the enemies is permanent too, so you'll have one less problem to deal with.

While the game is indeed short, the maze like path and multiple coloured keys help provide a challenge, with you having to remember which door colours are where when you find a key for the first time. I was pleased with the challenge and length since I was actually expecting the games to be shorter and simpler. It was surprisingly fun and I certainly will play the other too when I can.

Finished: 27

Completed: 22

Edited by Danj86
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DaSonic said:

@Tornado Thanks. What about if I started it in 2023 but finished it in 2024. Just thinking of omens. Would that work?

If it was started in 2023, and finished in 2024, it's eligible, but you need to provide proof of finishing it.

Posted (edited)
Ryannumber1gamer

Emperor Robrainiac was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

WEEKLY CHECK-IN: MARIO KART 8 DELUXE - STATUS: FINISHED

image.thumb.png.5a04052ba7b526132c15ecb761c6a9fe.pngimage.thumb.png.b7131189b7298db8d73c91431615cdd6.png

image.thumb.png.1d21b8518c0c98b3971b670f360f9549.pngimage.png

For my game this week, I was in the mood to play a Mario kart game. After struggling a little bit with Super Mario Kart and Mario 64, I decided I wanted to revisit Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 

I have some good memories of playing Mario Kart games with my friends in high school, and I'm always down for a good, over the top racing game. In addition, I never really got to try out the DLC courses. So I figured now was as good as time as any to try it out! Still a fun game all these years, art direction is still really fun, there's really cool courses (Both old and new) vehicle customization is interesting, and I don't like all of the characters in the roster, the ones I do I really like.

When making my kart, I would usually try to keep them balanced but with speed as my focus. It was neat mixing and matching vehicle parts to suit whichever character I was using at that moment. Stuff like the courses having crazy loops and the Karts having a sort of "anti-gravity mode" was something I remember thinking would be cool to see as a kid, so it was cool and really fun to go on crazy courses like these. A lot of courses were remade from previous games, and they hold up pretty well, some of them actually feeling like brand new tracks!

I gotta say, there's some fun courses that really make me wish that we would get worlds designed after them in regular mario games. I mean, it'd be fun to have a level that takes place in a giant pinball machine, stage that takes place in a giant bedroom, or heck even something as simple as a cruise ship would be different.  Props to Mario Odyssey for having more unique level tropes... but I digress lol.

Overall, The game's fast, fun, and visually appealing. Roster is fine, some characters I really like, some characters I don't care for or touch. But I think picking out a character I really like and making a kart/bike to match them was pretty fun.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Failinhearts was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

WEEK 20: FAILIN'S POSTGAME

GAME 66: KINGDOM HEARTS RE:CHAIN OF MEMORIES (PS4) 100% COMPLETE

Not so simple, surprisingly clean.

GAMES FINISHED: 66

GAMES COMPLETED: 59

• Thumbs Up 1

Weekly Check-in: 

Not much to report in terms of game completion. But uh... you know how I said last week that I wouldn't be getting the Fortnite BP for this season? Well, turns out, I'm a liar. Ryan was kind enough to gift me the BP, so I will be progressing through it as one of my next game entries! I'm gonna try to make more steady progress as the season goes instead of trying to cram most of my progress into the latter half of its duration. And since I got it so early this time, I shouldn't have to complete it last minute. I do like the design of the OC character that was included with the first page of the rewards, so that's a nice perk. Between the BR and trying to wrap up the Festival Pass, I should definitely be able to make some good progress every day. 

Other than that, I haven't had much time to play games this week. Should be moving on to the next act of Baldur's Gate once I confirm I did everything I wanted to do in the starting areas. My sister and I will be playing together again at some point in the next few days as well, which might help me get some more trophies. 

FFVII Rebirth, Midnight Suns, and Crypt of the NecroDancer are still on my radar. Just need to find some time to play them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Spin Attaxx was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

GAME #15: SONIC DRIFT (100% Complete)

If it wasn't for this current bonus challenge, I wouldn't have given this one a second glance. I'd played the sequel many years ago on a plug and play system, and I remember very much not liking it. It struck me as an attempt to do Mario Kart on a system that wasn't quite capable of doing something like it. Not with rubbish draw distance and often unclear conveyance regarding what things did what. So I might've played any other racing game, had I the time, but with MaGMML3 set to release in a week and me having a lot to do in what is very much not a lot of time, I went for this after hearing it was short.

Can't say I particularly liked it outside of that, though.

I'm glad Dread posted that "tap brake around the turnings" tip, because I probably wouldn't have had the patience to figure it out myself. Playing it, there were times where it felt like the game was akin to a slot machine. Sometimes I'd spin out and keep going at my prevous speed. Sometimes I'd have to slowly build my way back up. Sometimes invincibility (I'm guessing that's what the things that play You Can Do Anything-ish are) would last for ten or so seconds. Sometimes they would only last for two. Sometimes I'd slam into literally nothing and stop dead in my tracks for no discernable reason. I guess braking is involved somehow, but I don't know how. I learned that pressing up let me throw something as Eggman, but what they did and how they worked, I couldn't say. I don't think they were even all that helpful.

One amusing observation I had is that the races always came down to either myself, or Sonic. Tails and Amy never shifted from their places in third or fourth respectively. But basically every cup I won came down to a tie, one in which the game seems to prioritise the player over the AI. Which, hey, I'm thankful for that.

I don't really have much else to say, really. It's a game I thought I wouldn't like much, it met those expectations thoroughly, I played it to tick a box off a list and nothing more, I completed it in under an hour, and my final thoughts were, "There, I did it. Now leave me alone."

Sonic_Drift_Japan_En-240603-045025.png.2bf60502924fa7f9180bc77301283fea.png

Sonic_Drift_Japan_En-240603-045041.png.111fc09a6c3823d189899a86f91be288.png

• Thumbs Up 3

its bad

its really really bad

Ryannumber1gamer

Sean was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

#26/52 - Mario Tennis (Nintendo 64)

Completed all tournaments in singles and doubles mode with Mario. Didn't do side modes. I've also been playing the GBC version and taking advantage of transfer pak capabilities using simple64's transfer emulation (the attached screenshot is N64 data carried over to the GBC version).

Screenshot 2024-06-02 223139.png

Mario Tennis (USA)-0.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Ryannumber1gamer

Dreadknux was awarded the badge 'Helping Hand' and 20 points.

4 hours ago, Spin Attaxx said:

I'm glad Dread posted that "tap brake around the turnings" tip, because I probably wouldn't have had the patience to figure it out myself. Playing it, there were times where it felt like the game was akin to a slot machine. Sometimes I'd spin out and keep going at my prevous speed. Sometimes I'd have to slowly build my way back up. Sometimes invincibility (I'm guessing that's what the things that play You Can Do Anything-ish are) would last for ten or so seconds. Sometimes they would only last for two. Sometimes I'd slam into literally nothing and stop dead in my tracks for no discernable reason. I guess braking is involved somehow, but I don't know how. I learned that pressing up let me throw something as Eggman, but what they did and how they worked, I couldn't say. I don't think they were even all that helpful.

Sonic_Drift_Japan_En-240603-045025.png.2bf60502924fa7f9180bc77301283fea.png

Sonic_Drift_Japan_En-240603-045041.png.111fc09a6c3823d189899a86f91be288.png

Yeah a lot of what's going on isn't communicated well to you at ALL, but after a little while I slowly figured out the following:

• Invincibility (and maybe other items, I didn't notice) tends to cut itself short when you hit a spring or collect another item.
  • If you brake too hard / too long around corners, you spin out and lose a ring. That is probably what was causing you to deadstop. That's why tapping and going easy on the brake is necessary, but even that can be difficult on some really long corners. Really gotta pace it out.
  • I only played as Sonic, and his special move (Up on D-pad) is a speed boost. It seems that the special moves (besides Eggman's) has a similar effect to a power-up on the track (I imagine Tails' special is to jump up like a spring. No idea what Amy's would be). Eggman's is to launch an obstacle ahead of him, bit like a Mario Kart banana.
  • You need at least 2 rings to pull off a special move.

Anyway, I can't say it was the best game in the world (Game Gear games in general were not fantastic) but it did kind of cast me back to the late 90s for a brief period of time. I'll thank it for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
Ryannumber1gamer

ShadowXeldron was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

Crossing the finish line at the very last moment to collect my last place prize of NFTs of Edgy the Edgelord and some Game Gear racing game that probably should've been made for the Mega CD.

And, of course, it's one of the most recent additions to my collection:

Sonic Rivals (2006, PSP-3000)

Sonic Rivals is a pretty good game all things considered. Far from the best Sonic game, but it's definitely a hidden gen that's worth checking out. It also looks quite good for a handheld game and has a decent (if nowhere near as good as other games in the franchise) soundtrack with one of the highlights for me being the final boss theme. The sequel's supposed to be better, but I haven't got it yet so I can't play it.

Since I only just figured out how to get screenshots from the PSP, I've only got footage of my Silver playthrough (as well as a bit of Knuckles gameplay because I unlocked a skin for him.

I have played every character's story mode and unlocked Metal Sonic, which I count as beating the game.

I should note that a few screenshots have lines running through them; I assume it's a glitch with the screenshot tool but I'm not too sure. Anyway, without further ado, here's my photo album.

Spoiler

pic_0048.png.65e59e8654d5687166cc27aeef14b0a1.pngpic_0059.png.44a1875eb8be71389738422bc2c405b2.pngpic_0081.png.67c4a9d0e66c936bbefdb7218f052d04.pngpic_0082.png.fc05a796404cf8c18b2de7e05f987527.pngpic_0083.png.d434e6a50e97103a18108b789971dcee.pngpic_0084.png.492ad5dea71525cdf6d0be4fbf564899.pngpic_0085.png.aced23dff67163ed17eee6ab826280ff.pngpic_0086.png.b63596cff91aca87318c3fa3d627ec58.pngpic_0089.png.0c4cac82be1cca0fc06d81cc9eb6d4bf.pngpic_0090.png.a8c03da1ac3db11303995e6e814f0d5f.pngpic_0091.png.db6790b8721eaefdf902f804c5487d37.pngpic_0092.png.9570205a2df62136b41dbefd8e85cc33.pngpic_0093.png.a7e291ad860482e38a8b12a01e620fd2.pngpic_0095.png.6bfe72d12b14cda5ec6e960178ac7c15.pngpic_0096.png.bc70786d356f69612924db8c92587de6.pngpic_0097.png.b2fda4d8267965dfcb0de5424f52bcce.pngpic_0098.png.6fac5a5f42977003e4e9c2dc743d3494.pngpic_0099.png.d26d277afd4f4cb8e8fa0807fefaabd1.pngpic_0100.png.51fd8f2e7554f123ab1167715da42628.pngpic_0101.png.70ce5053d6e81e0b94bc8178ea62b090.pngpic_0102.png.d34747a741451ae913a57e1f6dae7b48.pngpic_0103.png.fcc605d835633237efd7b0d53d3c6bc7.pngpic_0104.png.48aa8874d6b1e0198489d6c999e7a12a.pngpic_0105.png.b7f27ca07a489db256ab7f80c4bce94b.pngpic_0106.png.94df06b9c0810ca793ce0d983b53174e.pngpic_0107.png.f72204a940421c603c6efe2a46e5625c.pngpic_0108.png.484b3448b56f0c1b15a5d79e763a7971.pngpic_0109.png.a506ab378bb709fcd3f42a58d7f0475f.pngpic_0110.png.706f322b5d4adcc5b8708f7b55b57422.pngpic_0111.png.b29fa3754db54ce596a6cb72473b7427.pngpic_0114.png.0ffcdbb1d2b52bfda40a579577db1a46.pngpic_0117.png.1215d39eafde46dd856a475ea8eb2f1c.pngpic_0115.png.8d67ddc4a857e47696a2db90fd74fab3.pngpic_0118.png.189e692ba62de9c0e9862b341b15c621.pngpic_0119.png.8c8f905ae170ad81d949321d0c463153.pngpic_0120.png.07bdc6c40d376e9742e4c1b1136a0bb6.pngpic_0121.png.5203119a9e47c4c879db3cad9cbe24b6.pngpic_0122.png.bc0baa1c0ecf240c352089d652ec62f5.pngpic_0123.png.5c5cee315d5a1a7c66da2b2ac48e1c5e.pngpic_0124.png.65475aa57dd0e2bb7c45290f74b430b4.pngpic_0125.png.5d7dc8cdd6e1f1b8cccb241e30424c17.pngpic_0126.png.06eb1cd211a33db47c9e770534484e42.pngpic_0127.png.9f4430202f7881df782539172c0ebb1d.pngpic_0094.pngpic_0112.pngpic_0113.pngpic_0116.png

In conclusion, I give Sonic Rivals a rating of:

7 Silver the Hedgehogs out of 10

Guess I need to track down Rivals 2.

Edited by ShadowXeldron
Moved some images into the spoiler
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

WorksOfMagic was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Updated doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ENT18rQXcoLnvIuqKfLuxfCcvveb5vO1yL5Cbm0oVNY/edit?usp=drivesdk

So... Didn't expect to finish this game today, but here I am. Recently, I've been into a bit of a movie tie-in moof, so I've been playing ones I've kinda missed out on all those years ago. Starting with the DS version of Cars: Mater-National Championship.

For a DS racer, I'll give it that, it's a pretty impressive looking game. The game is fully 3D, has intro and outro FMVs that look and sound surprisingly good. Really the cons stem from the fact every character looks completely cooked, McQueen especially, the performance, at least on regular DS clock speeds is pretty bad when more than two characters are on screen, and the OST has repeated tracks, which is kinda to be expected.

Do I recommend it despite that? Yeah, kinda. If you're looking for a chill racer on the go, you can't quite go wrong with it.

Games completed: 22

20240603_195716.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Last minute for bonus challenge Team Sonic Racing.

rFElFPO-1.thumb.jpeg.10accd76b805784624b35632c74c3e7b.jpeg

Racing is near the bottom of the list of genre's I'll play but I will dabble maybe once a year or so.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 40 points.

54604e9a2dfd69c7cacef0faf07b2189b9f31c74

Welp, for this check-in a classic was completed, or rather, its remake.

Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled, is the expansive remake of the original racing classic: Crash Team Racing.

zxnnE27.jpeg

CTR: NF is a game chock full of content, customization and a butt-load of challenges. In completing the game, I made sure to take down the Oxide challenges and beyond. Because yes, CTR NF does indeed boast challenges behind the devilish Oxide times. Bordering into the Emepror Velo times and of courses, the terrifying Dev Time challenges.

V28iiXZ.jpeg

The game is an absolute overhaul of Crash Team Racing, more or less in all the best ways. Far more characters packed in with a ton of tracks from both CTR and Nitro Kart, along with completely new tracks thrown in the mix as well to boot. I recall back in the day, running this game for Grand Prixs and attaining tremendous amounts of content while also having to stay in the upper percentages of rankings to get the extra champion kart and decals with each season.

gMICw4V.jpeg

Happily, I can report that while I was bit rusty, coming back to this game in a while (using a new profile on Switch made just for this session), that I had little trouble in getting re-acclimated for the most part and getting my head in game.

nHfswj0.jpeg

Thus managing to save the world via driving yet again! Or...for the first time chronologically in Crash's case.

Games Completed: 2 (technically 3).

• Thumbs Up 1

Apologies about the late announcement everyone, I had completely forgotten I didn't announce this week's prize.

Week 21 prize: Sonic Rush profile gift

sonicrush-1650646848703.jpg

Join or check into the 52 Game Challenge this week to earn a profile gift of Blaze the Cat's intro to the franchise!

Ryannumber1gamer

castell-neath was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Game number 27 completed / game number 26 100% - Sonic Advance 2.

Getting better at using the emulator controls on the phone so had a bit of fun with this one - good level of variety with multiple characters, decent replay value and a good sense of speed. Overall a very well made game and a great addition to the 2d canon. Again...I would really love to see this re-released on modern home consoles.

Check in is for Horizon. Got all drones, vista points,black boxes and only have to get the war totems, finish the hunting grounds and gauntlet runs before I start Burning Shores. Love the armour you unlock by completing the salvage contracts, and I have now reached level 52 so taking down machines is much easier. Been plugging away at GTA chinatown wars on 3ds too...going well so far but the top down view still spins me out a bit tbh. Still....its gta, so great fun!

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Photo4.jpg

Photo5.jpg

Photo6.jpg

Photo7.jpg

Photo8.jpg

Photo9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1