Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

The Boom universe and mainline continuity are very much not the same. Given the numerous differences between them, it would just make no sense. It’d be on par as two worlds or Classic being from a different dimension in terms of pointless, stupid retcons.

The more likely answer is Sticks is just a canon foreigner, she’s being brought into the mainline series, but it’s a different variant of Sticks who exists independently of the Boom canon. So it’ll be the character, but it’ll be treated like she always just existed in the main canon, with similar dynamics (Still a good friend of Amy, etc), which is fine enough to me. Sticks and Boom had its fans, them being thrown a bone like this is nice, and it’s a big deal that SEGA is finally allowing cast members from spin offs and other irrelevant continuities return. 

On top of removing the two most infamous mandates people utterly despised (Two worlds and Classic/Modern split), and now freely allowing IDW and Boom to be freely referenced and out and out confirming their existence in the main canon, it really feels like SEGA and Sonic Team have started taking fan criticisms seriously here. Bringing Ian on board was a big show of that, but still.

• Thumbs Up 4

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if Sticks gets added to Sonic Forces Speed Battle and Sonic Dash after this. 

Spoiler

I also wouldn't be shocked if she and IDW characters start appearing more in the games.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Bringing Ian on board was a big show of that, but still.

Ian Flynn, Tyson Hesse, and Takashi Iizuka have been like, The Three Musketeers when it comes to improving the brand's quality in recent years. Hope they stick around for a good long while.

9 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if Sticks gets added to Sonic Forces Speed Battle and Sonic Dash after this. 

I'm honestly surprised she hasn't been added a while ago, even before this move. She was popular and in Sonic Dash 2. If they didn't want her intermixing between the two Dash games, then fine, but that doesn't explain Forces Speed Battle unless they were specifically saving her for this occasion. lol

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, batson said:

On a completely different note, I'm not a fan of how Ian Flynn seem to mix in other continuities with the game universe. Considering what a huge Sonic nerd he is (and I'm saying that as something generally positive) I'm surprised hes chosen to act, as far as the writing in this game goes, as if he doesn't know that characters like Tangle and Sticks doesn't exist in the game universe.

Don't you know...

Everything exists now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really happy with this game's story. I wish there was fewer "sitting around and just chatting away" cutscenes and more body movement in those... but the expanded lore and the way they don't just turn their nose up at writing moments that fans weren't happy with is commendable. 

Spoiler

I also like how it seems as though the comfortable status quo the series has been in seems to be broken in some respects. That should have been what happened following Forces, seeing as the entire planet got wrecked, but better late than never. I haven't been this curious about what's going to happen next since Heroes.

17 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I'm really happy with this game's story. I wish there was fewer "sitting around and just chatting away" cutscenes and more body movement in those... but the expanded lore and the way they don't just turn their nose up at writing moments that fans weren't happy with is commendable. 

Hide contents

I also like how it seems as though the comfortable status quo the series has been in seems to be broken in some respects. That should have been what happened following Forces, seeing as the entire planet got wrecked, but better late than never. I haven't been this curious about what's going to happen next since Heroes.

You may be curious, but as somebody who has Autism, who likes the status quo... I'm terrified!

Spoiler

Particularly for Tails. One of the main reasons I fell in love with him was his brotherly relationship with Sonic. Now that appears to be out the window!

For the first time in my life, i'm truly frightened for Tails's future. Will he (And Knuckles and Amy) even show up in the next mainline Sonic game? And even if he does show up, will he still be the same cute and cuddly little fox I know and love, or a bastardized teenage version of him with a different voice?

I think, for me, it's the uncertainty. We don't know what's going to happen. It's all up in the air ATM and it's making me nervous! I need a hug!

56 minutes ago, ShinyGems said:

Check this out.

So Sleeping With Sirens did finally get in. Licensed bands are back on the table.

I am on my knees praying that there's a Powerman 5000 or Julien K song in here somewhere.

3 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

I think, for me, it's the uncertainty. We don't know what's going to happen. It's all up in the air ATM and it's making me nervous! I need a hug!

I think that's one of my favorite parts so far. After some of the conversations with Amy, I was really surprised at what they were implying. Are we...finally going to see these characters get older and slowly go their separate ways, like a lot of friend groups tend to do?

I wouldn't be surprised if this concept is dropped immediately and the next game has all 4 of the gang together again, but it'd be really nice to actually see the characters evolve semi-realistically with having different ideas of what they want their futures to be even if it'd push them away from each other.

Just finished the game, I'm happy to say I finally loved a Sonic game as an adult. Good work guys, if the next one keeps the same writing and tone, and is also less janky, it might become my favorite Sonic game ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does anyone else find the voice direction for Eggman a bit lacking? Mike Pollock is usually fantastic as Eggman but the more subdued delivery sounds a bit disjointed sometimes. 

3 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

So uh, this is apparently a thing

How'd they mess that up?

Oh, that's how.

2 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Oh, that's how.

Getting lackluster translations isn't so fun after all, is it Japan?

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

Does anyone else find the voice direction for Eggman a bit lacking? Mike Pollock is usually fantastic as Eggman but the more subdued delivery sounds a bit disjointed sometimes. 

Yeah, from what I've heard of him so far.

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The Boom universe and mainline continuity are very much not the same. Given the numerous differences between them, it would just make no sense. It’d be on par as two worlds or Classic being from a different dimension in terms of pointless, stupid retcons.

The more likely answer is Sticks is just a canon foreigner, she’s being brought into the mainline series, but it’s a different variant of Sticks who exists independently of the Boom canon. So it’ll be the character, but it’ll be treated like she always just existed in the main canon, with similar dynamics (Still a good friend of Amy, etc), which is fine enough to me. Sticks and Boom had its fans, them being thrown a bone like this is nice, and it’s a big deal that SEGA is finally allowing cast members from spin offs and other irrelevant continuities return. 

On top of removing the two most infamous mandates people utterly despised (Two worlds and Classic/Modern split), and now freely allowing IDW and Boom to be freely referenced and out and out confirming their existence in the main canon, it really feels like SEGA and Sonic Team have started taking fan criticisms seriously here. Bringing Ian on board was a big show of that, but still.

So I get that, as far as Sticks is concerned. But what about Tangle? Is it the same Tangle from the comics, or a different variant?

Better question, what would this entail to the IDW comics and the games? They have stated in the past that the IDW canon was separate from that of the games, but that was half a decade ago, and stuff can change a lot within in such a relatively short amount of time. Could things have changed since then? 

I’m not one to harp about momentum in these games, but the way Sonic comes to an instant stop the moment you let go of the thumbstick- that shit feels so trashy and bad. Even from a mainstream perspective. I get that they didn’t want Sonic flinging himself off of ledges all the time, but they’ve definitely overcorrected here. Hope a mod can fix that, or given how much customization this game has in its options menu, maybe even an official setting. 

Otherwise I’m having a good time. 

2 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

So I get that, as far as Sticks is concerned. But what about Tangle? Is it the same Tangle from the comics, or a different variant?

Better question, what would this entail to the IDW comics and the games? They have stated in the past that the IDW canon was separate from that of the games, but that was half a decade ago, and stuff can change a lot within in such a relatively short amount of time. Could things have changed since then? 

Tangle is a different situation because prior to Frontiers - IDW's canon is the game canon. It follows directly after Forces for a reason, and in terms of the comic, maintains the same exact structure of Sonic adventuring around the world, encountering new people, and dealing with new situations as they arise.

While IDW's spot in continuity was debated, at least up to TSR, Frontiers taking a direct stance on it just means that it's a confirmation the games is taking IDW as official canon, and it's much easier to buy that because IDW doesn't have anything contradictory compared to Boom. It uses game locales, game characters, and the game's continuity right up until post-Forces. 

There's no reason the Zombot Virus Saga, or the Neo Metal arc couldn't just be adventures Sonic and co experienced during the clean-up of Eggman's messes following Forces. It's not like Sonic needs to be making explicit references to the time Eggman nearly turned the entire world into zombies, or the time Metal Sonic nearly ruled Angel Island in Eggman's stead, the same way we don't need Sonic making references to the time he helped Chip save the world or the time he was sent into Arthurian Legend in order to understand Unleashed and Black Knight remains canon.

As for past comments, they also stated that two worlds was a thing, Classic and Modern Sonic were two separate entities with two different histories and dimensions, yet all of that has been confirmed nonsense by Frontiers, and other media releasing around Frontiers, from classic badniks and props from the classic games showing up in Big's fishing areas, to the TailsTube mentions and Ian's direct word, along with things like Scrapnik Island now allowing for classic badniks and mechas.

I think above all else, it's fair to say Frontiers has changed the board, and it's probably in no small part to the direct effort of SEGA/Sonic Team in trying to tighten up the franchise and be something bigger and better. Hiring Ian on board, listening to feedback on disliked mandates, simplifying things people didn't like to begin with, actually utilising the fact numerous people have grown up with this franchise and using that to expand, develop, and create new lore, etc. Hell, even Ian has come out and said Origins' cutscenes is effectively how SEGA now deems the classic games as official canon as well. 

It's a new exciting time for the series, lore wise. To say the whole board's really changed now is a understatement. 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Ian Flynn, Tyson Hesse, and Takashi Iizuka have been like, The Three Musketeers when it comes to improving the brand's quality in recent years. Hope they stick around for a good long while.

I'm honestly surprised she hasn't been added a while ago, even before this move. She was popular and in Sonic Dash 2. If they didn't want her intermixing between the two Dash games, then fine, but that doesn't explain Forces Speed Battle unless they were specifically saving her for this occasion. lol

Maybe they are? 

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Tangle is a different situation because prior to Frontiers - IDW's canon is the game canon. It follows directly after Forces for a reason, and in terms of the comic, maintains the same exact structure of Sonic adventuring around the world, encountering new people, and dealing with new situations as they arise.

While IDW's spot in continuity was debated, at least up to TSR, Frontiers taking a direct stance on it just means that it's a confirmation the games is taking IDW as official canon, and it's much easier to buy that because IDW doesn't have anything contradictory compared to Boom. It uses game locales, game characters, and the game's continuity right up until post-Forces. 

There's no reason the Zombot Virus Saga, or the Neo Metal arc couldn't just be adventures Sonic and co experienced during the clean-up of Eggman's messes following Forces. It's not like Sonic needs to be making explicit references to the time Eggman nearly turned the entire world into zombies, or the time Metal Sonic nearly ruled Angel Island in Eggman's stead, the same way we don't need Sonic making references to the time he helped Chip save the world or the time he was sent into Arthurian Legend in order to understand Unleashed and Black Knight remains canon.

As for past comments, they also stated that two worlds was a thing, Classic and Modern Sonic were two separate entities with two different histories and dimensions, yet all of that has been confirmed nonsense by Frontiers, and other media releasing around Frontiers, from classic badniks and props from the classic games showing up in Big's fishing areas, to the TailsTube mentions and Ian's direct word, along with things like Scrapnik Island now allowing for classic badniks and mechas.

I think above all else, it's fair to say Frontiers has changed the board, and it's probably in no small part to the direct effort of SEGA/Sonic Team in trying to tighten up the franchise and be something bigger and better. Hiring Ian on board, listening to feedback on disliked mandates, simplifying things people didn't like to begin with, actually utilising the fact numerous people have grown up with this franchise and using that to expand, develop, and create new lore, etc. Hell, even Ian has come out and said Origins' cutscenes is effectively how SEGA now deems the classic games as official canon as well. 

It's a new exciting time for the series, lore wise. To say the whole board's really changed now is a understatement. 

Yeah, but I would just like an official confirmation before stating things as fact, as far as the IDW comics are concerned (Mostly from Ian or anyone involved in matters of lore and such). 

So, if it is established that IDW is cannon to the games,

Spoiler

Does that mean Tails, Knuckles and Amy will be mostly absent from the IDW comics as well from now on?

10 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Yeah, but I would just like an official confirmation before stating things as fact, as far as the IDW comics are concerned (Mostly from Ian or anyone involved in matters of lore and such). 

I mean, the fact the game mentions them is confirmation - all of these scripts would have had to be approved by SEGA/Sonic Team. If they didn't want it there, it wouldn't be there.

Tangle isn't even the only IDW mention - one of Eggman's voice memos directly mentions the Eggnet, which is a concept to my knowledge only present in IDW as Eggman's personal connection that connects all of his robots and bases together.

8 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Does that mean Tails, Knuckles and Amy will be mostly absent from the IDW comics as well from now on?

I feel the comics would want to go for a full adaptation before pulling off something like that. That is a very jarring change that you'd rather avoid unless legal had you tied.

• Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Maybe they are? 

Honestly, given how long Frontiers has been in development, I wouldn't be surprised. Heck, for all we know, the IDW comics could've been Flynn laying the groundwork, or fulfilling a test to see if he worthy of game writer. Lol

50 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I mean, the fact the game mentions them is confirmation - all of these scripts would have had to be approved by SEGA/Sonic Team. If they didn't want it there, it wouldn't be there.

Tangle isn't even the only IDW mention - one of Eggman's voice memos directly mentions the Eggnet, which is a concept to my knowledge only present in IDW as Eggman's personal connection that connects all of his robots and bases together.

That's not enough of a confirmation for me I'm afraid. 

25 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Honestly, given how long Frontiers has been in development, I wouldn't be surprised. Heck, for all we know, the IDW comics could've been Flynn laying the groundwork, or fulfilling a test to see if he worthy of game writer. Lol

I don't think that was necessarily the idea. 

57 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Hide contents

I don't think so. Not yet at the very least. 

3 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

You may be curious, but as somebody who has Autism, who likes the status quo... I'm terrified!

Reveal hidden contents

Particularly for Tails. One of the main reasons I fell in love with him was his brotherly relationship with Sonic. Now that appears to be out the window!

For the first time in my life, i'm truly frightened for Tails's future. Will he (And Knuckles and Amy) even show up in the next mainline Sonic game? And even if he does show up, will he still be the same cute and cuddly little fox I know and love, or a bastardized teenage version of him with a different voice?

if it weren't for change, you wouldn't have sonic.

change can be scary but it is the nature of everything and oftentimes good.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, unsubjective said:

if it weren't for change, you wouldn't have sonic.

change can be scary but it is the nature of everything and oftentimes good.

Or bad. It's always a coin toss really. 🙄 

Edited by Zoomzeta
  • Absolutely 2

25 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

That's not enough of a confirmation for me I'm afraid. 

You really need confirmation that a concept from the comics was mentioned in the games...and is therefore now canon to the games?

I guess Flynn Writer needs to come out and say..."IT".