Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

So he switches from "My goal is to do exactly that" to "I haven't promised the complete Archie series." Which admittedly if you take both statements literally they don't contradict each other -- having a goal is different than making a promise -- when you take the two statements at face value, the first one feels a bit deceptive in the context of the second.

• Thumbs Up 6

It looks like he's getting closer to shipping out his books.  It'll be interesting to see if anyone who gets a copy actually reviews it online or not and how he reacts to reviews/feedback once people receive them.

12 minutes ago, ASurgeofLight said:

It'll be interesting to see if anyone who gets a copy actually reviews it online or not and how he reacts to reviews/feedback once people receive them.

I predict that there will be at least one viral video absolutely RIPPING into this graphic novel and that the drama will spread across the internet until Sega themselves are forced to legally acknowledge that Ken Penders is bootlegging old Archie comics because at that point everyone knows about it anyway.

I definitely won't be buying this book, but that's mostly because I'm just not interested in the premise of this book.  Be interesting to see how everyone else feels about it though.

Edited by Rabbitearsblog
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm curious if someone will post scans, whether out of spite or affinity, or if no one will be able to be bothered.

It's official. This series has made an appearance in my dreams, likely indicating that it now lives rent-free in my head now.

I have no idea how I feel about that.

If Sega genuinely cared about this, they would have acted by now. There's no way Ken has the legal right to make this and there's no chance they don't know about it, therefore Sega simply doesn't care that he's doing it. Either they figure he's not making enough for it to be worth the effort or they just don't care if folks bootleg the Archie comics. Either way, I expect he'll be able to release the Knuckles Omnibus no problem. If Sega proves me wrong - good.

• Thumbs Up 5

41 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

If Sega genuinely cared about this, they would have acted by now. There's no way Ken has the legal right to make this and there's no chance they don't know about it, therefore Sega simply doesn't care that he's doing it. Either they figure he's not making enough for it to be worth the effort or they just don't care if folks bootleg the Archie comics. Either way, I expect he'll be able to release the Knuckles Omnibus no problem. If Sega proves me wrong - good.

It's possible that they know about it and don't care yet, but if it somehow blows up on social media and/or paints the franchise in a negative light, they may be spurred to take legal action. You never know what the future will bring.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've been saying that for months.

Sega is most certainly keeping an eye on the situation, but as of now, he's just a blip on their radar. He just made prints of a comic book and will sell what, 200 copies ? Not enough to be a threat to the brand and to invest money in legal actions. If it gets bigger, they might act. They certainly will at least contact him or his lawyers.

But for now ? He doesn't matter to them. He's an outdated writer from a dead comic book.

• Thumbs Up 9

Getting down to the home stretch, indeed:

https://kenpenders.com/getting-down-to-the-home-stretch/

BEGINNINGS isn’t just the title of a book. It’s also a promise of more to come. And I never promise what I can’t deliver on. Thanks and take care.

Very long time to supposedly deliver on said promise from what, 13+ years ago? But I digress...

Also of note, he's supposedly extended his reach to Australia (can't access post anymore) and Ireland:

A bit too ambitious for a been-dead niche comic book series, hm? But then again, gotta attempt to (re)build your audience somehow...

Edited by Promethean0416

On 6/18/2024 at 4:40 PM, GentlemanX said:

I have a feeling that SEGA is not really going to do anything about this, unless this series becomes popular and it runs the risk of causing people to not buy their products involving Sonic anymore.  Then, that's when SEGA will act.  Although, I doubt this series will blow up in any way.

Edited by Rabbitearsblog

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I have a feeling that SEGA is not really going to do anything about this, unless this series becomes popular and it runs the risk of causing people to not buy their products involving Sonic anymore.  Then, that's when SEGA will act.  Although, I doubt this series will blow up in any way.

I've said it before, but I doubt Sega will do anything. Right now, he's got a guaranteed, what, less than 200 books out of 2000 sold. Chances are, most of the rest will sit in the warehouse collecting dust. He likely fail to break even and scrap the rest, finally fading into obscurity... hopefully.

If Sega did pursue him legally, that's give him the publicity he's looking for and might help him sell more copies. Basically, the Streisand Effect.

...though, another hilarious thought I had is him suing Sega for the failure of his product because reasons.

• Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Yeah, I don't think Sega will bother. Frankly, they don't even like that part of the IP, and he's too small a fish.

If they sued, they'd win, but what would they get out of it? It's not like they're dying to use Locke.

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

If they sued, they'd win, but what would they get out of it? It's not like they're dying to use Locke.

Petty revenge out of spite?

22 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Yeah, I don't think Sega will bother. Frankly, they don't even like that part of the IP, and he's too small a fish.

I agree.  If SEGA did care about this, then they would have been using the characters from the Archie Comics by now.

Welp, it has finally happened. The man, after 13+ years of talks and tweets/posts, has the books and is prepping for preorder shipments:

https://kenpenders.com/the-eagle-has-landed/

And yeah, I agree it seems that nothing will happen regarding this so far, but then again, there's still SDCC, so we'll see how that goes...

Edited by Promethean0416
  • My Emmerdoods 1

10 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Welp, it has finally happened. The man, after 13+ years of talks and tweets/posts, has the books and is prepping for preorder shipments:

And yeah, I agree it seems that nothing will happen regarding this so far, but then again, there's still SDCC, so we'll see how that goes...

Be interesting to see where this goes.

14 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

After all this time...

And the preorder shipping has begun:

https://kenpenders.com/the-first-batch-has-shipped/

And someone is getting StH: #31 (hope they don't have that one) and what appears to be a Lara-Su postcard with the "limited edition art" complete with presumed stock background imagery.

And this had me scratching my head:

To end on a high note, the women of Bernie’s book club have gathered at our home tonight as it was Bernie’s turn to host. Bernie brought up my new book as a topic of conversation, and the women expressed unanimous interest. The result? After checking it out, they all wanted to buy a copy. Who knew the characters and story had that much universal appeal?

Well, good for him to bump up those rookie numbers of his, I guess, though I can't help thinking that this was more out of sympathy than actual interest, but I digress...

• Thumbs Up 3

There is no chance in hell a book club most likely consisting of women late 50's/early 60's expressed unanimous interest in a comic book on anthropomorphic cartoon aliens. It's pity purchasing. His neighbour who purchased 3 copies is also storing the remaining 170 boxes. There is no success story here when 90% of sales are due to infamy and not for delivering a high quality work of fiction 13+ years in the making.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder what the sales numbers will look like.

Well, we got a couple more tidbits from the man on a couple of characters Data File "info" and another attempt to appeal to a certain group(s):

I am assuming "DR" is doctor and Remington seems to have gotten a prrrrromotion...

ken-talks-about-how-gender-transitioning

Anyone want to take a guess or two on which mystery character he is talking about?

• Chuckle 4

Considering he's barely changing anything from the original comic, I'm betting Sonic. Sally would be a second guess.

This looks like he had naked models sit and he traced it. The feet are... not nice. Overall, not surprised. 

• My Emmerdoods 3

I don't know how many years it's been, but the art style is still so... confronting.