Awoo.

Is it still advertisement? (A Question to the mods and anyone else who knows)

MegaMonster54

I gotta ask a question to the mods that are currently on. If I post a topic that has a video on it, but I'm not saying go watch it I just want an opinion on it and I post it on a non sonic part of the topic forum, is that still advertisement? Cause I'm not saying go watch it, I'm just saying What do you think. And that in turn will make a meaningful post, hopefully getting people involved with the topic. See where I'm getting at here? I don't think it is because your not saying "Go watch it, it's really good" You're only saying "I want an opinion on it", so I don't think its technically advertisement. But I do think it is product placement, which I don't know if it is OK here. But I can see why you say "No Ad's" Because it's just really douche-y, but is just saying "Here's something I made, please go check it out" Still an ad? I wanna know these things. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's kind of a gray area I think.

First of all if it's a video you have made or something of that nature, the Sonic Showcase Misc section is all for sharing your creations under any medium of art. Not sure if it's something you made that you want to share, but if so that's definitely a place for it right off the bat (which links in signatures work too for this matter).

However if it's just some video you found interesting on Youtube...eeeeeeeh? LOL

It kinda boils down to discussion value at that point, which can be hard to judge, but at the same time that's not only the factor. I guess, think of it like how people post recent news of things as topics. "Lady squishes a spider and charged for animal cruelty!" or something of that nature are made on occasion, usually being an article found online or on rarer cases a video. These have a natural amount of good discussion value since they're usually shocking and something anyone can have an input on.

So I guess if a video you'd like to share and discuss with people can serve to that nature, then by all means post it in the Chit-Chat forum. Though, and not just you, but everyone just take caution in doing so and really, really think if can generate enough talk to uphold itself. There's definitely videos out there that might be interesting but really nothing to talk about, or maybe something so trivial that only one person may even know what the hell is going on.

Again, it's kinda a gray area I think and not something ever really established in the rules? If another staff member disagrees or points something out I'm totally blanking, totally chime in and call me a dork or something, but if not I think it should be good if you follow those things I stated above.

Just please don't let this be a gateway for everyone and their dog here to post some random ass Youtube video they found as a topic.

• Thumbs Up 4

Generally when "advertisement" is used in most forums, it is with regards to something you post solely for some sort of monetary gain rather than any discussion value... while that profiteering spirit may or may not be against a community's spirit, the latter part makes it just a monetised form of spam. Ergo most places do not like it.

So what Wolfy said would be the pretty good litmus test - if some discussion value could come out of it, it'd probably be fine. Naturally the burden would probably fall on the OP to jumpstart the discussion... the general rule being that you don't post a link and ask people to check it out; that seems self-promotional and spammy, after all. So anyone posting such would have to give at least a few sentences to stir the pot of discussion so the next few posters have something to follow on.

At least, that's how I interpret it!

The way I see it:

If your topic is about a subject, and your video is also about that subject, pretty much serving as a supplmentary material to your opening post, it should be okay IMO.

If your video IS the subject of the topic, then that is advertisement and belongs in the showcase section to recieve feedback on it.

If your topic is about a subject, and your video is also about that subject, pretty much serving as a supplmentary material to your opening post, it should be okay IMO.

If your video IS the subject of the topic, then that is advertisement and belongs in the showcase section to recieve feedback on it.

That's a fairly good way to consider it, I think.

The former adds weight to a discussion that otherwise could probably survive on its own, whereas the latter IS the weight of the discussion, and so belongs in the Showcase section. The Showcase section allows non-Sonic works, as well, so one need not worry if they aren't making a video about a blue hedgehog or his friends.

Overall I think the good faith rule makes everything better; so long as one isn't really malicious with their intent and uses the slightest bit of responsible thinking, one need not worry too much about trouble. Never mind the "when in doubt" rule!