After months of waiting, and a separate patch that dealt with the rainbow glitch, SEGA and Blind Squirrel have finally released a patch for Sonic Colors Ultimate on all platforms. According to the patch notes, the following issues have been addressed:
- Improved Stability
- Updates to save game system
- Audio mix improvements
- Music now loops for credits & update to “Giving Credit Where it’s Do” achievement description
- Various bug fixes
- Eggman fireworks at the end of Terminal Velocity now work on Switch
- Fixed glitch that could cause yellow wisp to not damage Captain Jelly on PC
The patch isn’t very large: just 1.2 GB on PS5. So you don’t have to worry about this eating into your bandwidth or hard drive space!
Does this fix the wisp music glitch? Or the disappearing pipe textures? Stay tuned to Sonic Stadium for future updates (and potentially our Twitch channel, where we will try to give the PS5 version a go shortly).
We’d also like to note that according to the Sonic Social media manager, another patch is on the way, so anything that isn’t fixed now will hopefully be addressed soon!
UPDATE: We streamed the patched version on our Youtube, which you can check out below. We’ve got a summary of what we found beneath the video:
What Seems to be Fixed:
- We did not encounter the wisp audio glitch during the stream, including in places where it could happen reliably.
- We did not encounter the level end audio glitch
- Enemies now fall slower when they drop in
What’s Still Broken:
- There are still various minor visual glitches, including the invisible Sonic in Starlight Carnival Act 3 and the missing pipe textures in Tropical Resort Act 3.
- The Tails rescue glitch, which can cause 2D areas to become 3D, is still there. This was my first encounter with that, in fact.
- The game also softlocked on me for the first time, which ended the stream. Not the first game to soft lock on me once on PS5, though.
So stuff still needs to be fixed. Personally, I am rather happy the audio glitches have been fixed. In my many hours spent with the game, that was by far the most common and annoying glitch I encountered. Glad to see that it appears to be gone!