We all love Sonic Colours (and if you don’t, you’re a heathen). And no doubt we will all love Sonic Colours Ultimate even more – SEGA has released a Spotlight video that aims to highlight the improvements and features of the upcoming remaster – including a special ‘Rival Race’ feature and unlockable customisations for Sonic.
In Rival Race, Sonic is tasked with beating his arch nemesis, Metal Sonic, to the end of a given stage. It adds a little bit of retro class and replayability to a game that you might have 100%’d a long time ago on the Nintendo Wii.
Sonic is also open to a fashion style change in Ultimate, as players can collect Park Tokens littered around the game worlds and spend them on custom shoes and gloves for the blue blur. ‘Unique Boosts’ and ‘Auras’ can also be obtained, which add even more visual flair to your speedrun through Terminal Velocity.
The full list of updates and improvements can be seen in the video above, but here’s a breakdown courtesy of SEGA’s official press release on the news;
- HD Updates – New high-definition updates and improvements, including 60 FPS, re-vamped lighting, improved graphics and 4K resolution
- New Mode “Rival Rush” – Go head-to-head with Metal Sonic to unlock rewards
- Park Tokens & Customization – Head to the store and use park tokens to unlock unique boosts, auras, shoes and gloves for Sonic
- Jade Ghost – Transform Sonic, fly around and pass through solid objects to reach hidden areas
- Customizable Controls – Customize your controls to find a layout that suits your play style
- Tails Save – Find a tails save and be taken back to safety if you need to be rescued
- 100 Count Ring – Collect a 100 Count Ring to gain temporary invincibility and boost your score after each level
- Music – Fully remixed soundtrack to set the pace while you put an end to Dr. Eggman’s evil plan
The video is the first in a series that SEGA is publishing between now and Sonic Colours Ultimate’s release date – so no doubt we’ll learn even more about the remaster’s unique features over the next couple of months.
Which of the above improvements is the most interesting to you? Let us know in the comments section below!