A new version of classic board game Monopoly is due to be released on 15 September in North America, featuring SEGA’s spiky blue mascot!
While there have been Sonic-themed Monopoly games in the past – USAopoly launched a game-related one back in 2012 and in 2015 a Sonic Boom-flavoured edition hit store shelves – this shiny new one will reportedly feature different locations and slightly tweaked mechanics.
Releasing as part of the ‘Monopoly Gamer’ sub-brand, Sonic the Hedgehog Monopoly (2019) has Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy run around Speed Highway and Chemical Plant in a bid to collect the most rings. Each character has a unique ‘Super Boost’ ability which can make or break a situation, and Chaos Emeralds can be collected by passing the ‘GO’ square and initiating a die-roll boss battle.
At the end of the game, points are tallied based on owned zones, boss cards collected (and, assumedly, rings) to find a winner. Hopefully it’ll also make use of Sonic’s trademark speed to make rounds of Monopoly much, much quicker than the original’s sloth-like pace.
The game is launching in North America on September 15, you can pre-order it right now at Walmart’s website. Below is an official description of the game.
“The Monopoly game joins forces with Sonic the Hedgehog video game characters for an exciting gameplay experience! Instead of standard Monopoly tokens, players can choose to move around the gameboard as Sonic, Tails, Amy, or Knuckles. Buy iconic properties such as Planet Wisp, and Rooftop Run. Pass Go to trigger a cooperative boss fight, drop and collect Rings on board spaces, earn Chaos Emeralds and Chao tokens, and activate characters’ unique powers. After the final boss fight, the player with the highest score wins.”
- Throughout the game, fans will pass – and potentially purchase – iconic Sonic the Hedgehog themed properties such as Planet Wisp and Rooftop Run while dropping and collecting Rings on board spaces, earning Chaos Emeralds and Chao tokens.
- Fans can chose from Sonic, Tails, Amy or Knuckles character tokens to race around the board.
- To introduce a Sonic themed layer of competition, landing on or passing “Go” triggers a boss fight where players compete for Chaos Emeralds – having more Emeralds means it will be easier to beat Dr. Eggman!
- A “speedy die” with only numbers 2-7 is included for faster movement around the game board
- As seen in the Monopoly Gamer Mario and Mario Kart Edition games, each Sonic game token has special powers and abilities to use during the gameplay with the Boost die (e.g. Sonic’s Super Boost doubles his normal dice roll and causes every player he passes to drop rings)