Ah, the Sonic Storybook series – a spinoff that never lived past Sonic and the Secret Rings, which brought the Blue Blur to the many tales of the Arabian Nights, and Sonic and the Black Knight, based on the old legends of King Arthur. The concept of mashing together Sonic with age-old folklore was a fun one that could’ve led to other game ideas: say, Sonic finding the lost city of Atlantis, or facing the Greek hero Hercules, or maybe even going through the pages of Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen.
What’s with that specific last example, you may ask? This week’s Mash-Up Monday, being “Shadow and the Snow Queen”—a combination of “Let it Go” from Disney’s Frozen, “Snow Halation” from the Love Live! anime, snippets of Crush 40’s “I Am All of Me” from Shadow the Hedgehog, and bits of “Rooftop Run” from Sonic Unleashed—based on a very real crossover idea that spawned between the Sonic and Frozen fandoms.
Check it out below, and read on for the Sonic Storybook Series photoshop contest!
This week’s Mash-Up Monday has been brought to you by the SiIvaGunner parody account on YouTube, the same grand-dad responsible for some of the highest quality rips ever to grace the internet. We’ll be checking out more of his Sonic music mashups at a later date!
In the meantime, I thought I’d try something new for an upcoming Freak-Out Friday, and with the “Shadow and the Snow Queen” mashup idea in mind, how about we have ourselves a Sonic Storybook series-themed Photoshop Contest?
The rules are as follows!
- Photoshop is not required – any kind of image manipulation software will do!
- Submit your entries to us in the comments below, reach out to us via our Facebook or Twitter (be it with replies or direct messages), [EDIT: SEPT. 14] or share them in the SSMB thread!
- Anything and everything within the Sonic canon and its various spinoffs is free game, so long as it ties in with a specific piece of ancient folklore or literature! Use the template above to guide you!
- No more than two entry per person!
- Most importantly, keep it tasteful with no offensive material of any kind!
The deadline is Thursday, September 22nd at 11:59pm BST (7pm EST, 4pm PST). That should give you all ample time to come up with something truly unique or downright bonkers for a Sonic Storybook box art. We’ll feature the best ones on Freak-Out Friday the next day, and if successful, who knows? We could make photoshop contests a fun recurring thing on The Sonic Stadium!
Have at it, everyone!