A whole slew of new details regarding Sonic Boom have surfaced thanks to the above interview brought to our attention by SSMB member Storme. As well as giving us a more extensive look at the New York venue for SEGA’s big announcements last week, it reveals some intriguing changes to the traditional Sonic premise – chief among them, the absence of the Chaos Emeralds in the Boom universe. How this will affect the story and mythos of the new series remains to be seen, but it does throw an appearance by Super Sonic or any other super forms (and arguably even the Master Emerald) into doubt.
Additional details revealed in the interview include:
- The Wii U GamePad will be used to display a map and upgrades, as well as another function which is yet to be unveiled
- The game follows an adventure style with currency and upgrades for the characters
- The game is more “organically” challenging, in that difficulty arises from skill in combat and finding hidden secrets as opposed to enemies just becoming tougher
- All the levels in the game are connected by the story and its locations
- You will mainly use two characters at a time during gameplay, but all four will show up in hubs and boss fights
- There will be points in the game where you are required to use a certain character to proceed
- The game will be very character driven, with a lot of focus put onto each individual character and their unique abilities
- We will “definitely” be seeing other characters from the Sonic series making an appearance – these will be revealed over the coming months
- Inspiration is being taken from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Generations
(summary adapted from a post by SSMB member Blue Blood)
What do you make of all this new information? Are you disappointed that the Chaos Emeralds are a no-show? Are you excited that other characters will be popping up in the game? Let us know in the comments!