Co-Optimus’ Tally “xelissa” Callahan has posted up details of Sonic Free Riders‘ various game modes she played at SEGA’s recent New York press event. The game will include 5 modes to play, including:
– World Grand Prix (single-player story mode)
– Time Attack (with online leaderboards)
– Free Race (competitive mode which contains Normal Race, Ring Collection, and Damage Survival sub-modes)
– Tag Race (a co-op specific mode)
Players start in splitscreen, but can join hands to fuse boards and power up which increases their speed. The challenge arises in learning how to turn and jump together. Sometimes you are necessarily required to fuse together, other times you must initialize it yourselves.
– Relay Race which can be played in 2-4 player co-op or 2 vs 2 competitive.
It’s a tag-team mechanic, so player 1 does one lap, then jumps out at the end and player 2 jumps in.
Callahan says co-op modes are all local play only and online multiplayer is limited to one player per console at a time.