Awoo.

IDW TMNT: Sophie Campbell's Run Ends with 150, Ongoing Will Continue + Spin-offs

MetalSkulkBane

IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the longest comic run this franchise ever had. And it's about to end.

Just to be clear: only the ONGOING book is closing by issue 150. IDW still holds the license and will probably continue with miniseries and such. Still, it's a bit of a shock.

I read all IDW turtles and the first 100 issues (by Tom Waltz) were really good. It masterfully took years of TMNT lore from every corner of the franchises and then wove it into a single logical and fascinating universe (kinda like when Flynn cleaned up Archie Comics). It was elegantly planned, and brought new life into many old favorites, while still adding unique elements (like Pantheon,  Alopex or the concept of Reincarnation) and overall being its own thing. I won't say it was perfect, but for any TMNT it was immensely satisfying. And both Bebop & Rocksteady mini-series were just 10/10 comedy gold.
Then Sophie Campbell took over and things got... political. Social commentary. Slice of life. And boring. It was unique at first, but quickly I started missing space adventures and evil mutants. And even when we got those, with giant arc "Armageddon Games"... I just felt nothing. It was meh. Everything was meh (fine, except the "Last Ronin" mini-series). I'm not saying Campbell killed the book, but only because I don't know the numbers. Either way, sad to end like this.

As a TMNT fan of course I'm bumped about it, but I'm even more concerned about IDW and by proxy Sonic. Quick reminder, IDW already lost Transformers and GI Joe and closed MLP book. I'm pretty sure Sonic is now their last ongoing series (at least with more than 20 issues). And keep in mind, TMNT was their best-selling book, usually doubling Sonic's input (let alone other books).
My guess is IDW is can't publish so many books anymore. Rather than having 12 issues of a single franchise a year, it's more profitable to publish a few various mini-series.
That or they can't rely on the Following Audience who buys every issue and are trying to attract Casual Readers with standalone minis. It seems mini-series these days often outsell ongoing books.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zaysho

• MetalSkulkBane

• DaBigJ

• Rabbitearsblog

That's sad that the ongoing TMNT series is about to end.  But, at least IDW still has the rights to the Ninja Turtles.

I mean no disrespect to the OP of this topic, but this is some extremely misleading clickbait that isn't even remotely true.

If you were to properly read the article listed, you would see this exact quote in the second paragraph:

IGN can exclusively reveal that TMNT #150 will serve as the conclusion of writer Sophie Campbell's long run on the series. 

This means that the series itself is not ending, and instead it's the writer's time on the series is coming to a close. The comic itself will continue as normal.

I sincerely recommend that you clarify this in your post and topic title @MetalSkulkBane

6 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

This means that the series itself is not ending, and instead it's the writer's time on the series is coming to a close. The comic itself will continue as normal.

The comic is ending at #150; they're continuing the story in off-shoot books going forward (for God knows what reason).

While Sophie Campbell's legendary run may be coming to a close, CBR can exclusively reveal that the entire series is concluding as well and several TMNT comics are to follow, with more to be revealed later this month. [...] CBR can also confirm that the new comics will not be reboots. The existing universe of the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles run is moving forward and evolving with IDW[...]

IGN's article is older (from September last year) and I'm not sure why it's being used as a source in the OP. It's possible CBR is also mistaken, but IDW's press release (via AiPT) seems to suggest the same with its wording.

Written by acclaimed author Sophie Campbell, the massive, epic and emotional TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #150 is the must-read conclusion of the ongoing series – fear not, shellheads, because more will be revealed about what’s next for TMNT soon!

I do think there's a lot of confusion surrounding this announcement but it's also an extremely confusing announcement to begin with. And if it's accurate they are ending the ongoing to continue in off-shoots, then IDW is out of their minds.

7 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

My mistake then, apologizes

That's cool, heart attack you gave me was a mild one.

Sophie chimes in and she makes it sound like the ongoing will continue after all. 

This announcement still makes no sense and IDW should've just stated her run was ending, but the actual announcements still framed it as the ongoing was ending and being replaced with new books in the same continuity.

• The title was changed to IDW TMNT: Sophie Campbell's Run Ends with 150, Ongoing Will Continue + Spin-offs